'92 GMC rear end

My friend has a 1982 GMC S-15 V-6 auto tranny that has a noisy and leaking rear end. Seems like he has to replace it. . . . .Any tips or suggestions on this subject would sure help him out. He is short of funds and will doing this back-alley on ramps. . . . .I take it the differential gear assembly is not too tough to take out. Pull the rear universal and the axles, the rear diff cover and maybe a snap ring in the front of the pinion??????? You can see that I have never done this, but will undoubtedly end up helping him. We are days away from snow so a fast start would surely lessen the pain. . . . ....in advance, THANKS to one and all that can help out here. . . chas

Reply to
chas

Can you find the leak? Around the drive shaft? Into the brakes? That would be a big help to know.

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Is it a 92 or 82 ??

Being it is leaking AND noisy it is probably scrap unless it JUST started. Noise usually means all new bearings, new gear set, new seals and more. You will need a dial indicator, some gear marking compound, some extra shims for the pinion and carrier. A pair of torque wrenches (one lb ft, one in lb) plus some other tools. You will be looking at pulling the entire rear end apart, cleaning it out, then rebuilding the entire thing.

First thing is to jack it up, drain the lube AFTER you break the fill plug loose. Strain the lube and use a magnet to look for metal. If you find metal & the noise has been longer than a few days - a month, Find a used one and swap the entire thing.

will give you a local source for a used unit. They run from 100-300 bucks around here. You will need to know the axle ratio.

If the oil is CLEAN of metal then this is a partial list - IF it's a 92 :

Bearing kit - National Parts # RA320MK - about $100.00 New rear cover (probably rotted if it's like most of them) -Dorman #

697701 $10.00 Crush Sleeve - Dorman # 81058 $ 3.00 Ea. (get two since you only get one chance per sleeve and it may take a couple tries) New Ring & Pinion - Around $200.00 depending on ratio needed. U-Joint - $10.00 or so each. I would check both and replace the rear one regardless since you likely won't get the old one back in the exact same place.

If you find metal then add in A new carrier with pinion gears and assorted parts (Used will run 50-75 bucks or so) Axle Bearings - SKF # R1563 $30.00 Ea. Axle Seals - National # 8610 $10.00 or so Ea. Also look at the axles for wear, you can sleeve them if they are worn.

Reply to
Steve W.

If it has a rear cover, do it the easy way and replace the entire rear axle assembly. If it has a removeable "pumpkin" you can pull the axles, drop the driveshaft, and switch the "third member".

If you diss-assemble one with a removeable cover you need to know how to set up the bearing preloads, contact patch, and clearances - not someething a Noob wants to be doing on the driveway.

Reply to
clare

GM hasn't used a removable third member on small vehicles for a long time.

That unit is a GM 10 bolt that you need to set-up.

Reply to
Steve W.

Thanks to all who replied with some good but disheartening info. Seems this is a job for a master machinist and not for an alley mechanic. Apparently my friends best course of action, financially and within our talents, is too completely replace the entire rear end. We'll have impact tools available to do the heavy work to get the old rear end out and to replace it. Again thanks for the timely help. . .chas. ps...yes it is an '82. V-6 manual tranny.

Reply to
chas

If it's like most they rot the rear cover and leak past the pinion seal. The catch is that by the time they start making noise the gears have already started to crap out.

Reply to
Steve W.