93 GMC Sierra Error codes

Can someone tell me if there is a way to diagnose a problem with a 93 Sierra 5.0L Pickup? Is there a jumper or something to get error codes? I have had Chevys in the past that this could be done on.

If this can be done where can I get instructions and the list of error codes?

The truck started running rough one morning after I started up - it was running just fine the day before.

Reply to
Lex

. .

. 93 GMC Sierra Error codes Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Tue, Oct 21, 2003, 5:27am (CDT-2) From: snipped-for-privacy@homerlex.mailshell.com (Lex)

Can someone tell me if there is a way to diagnose a problem with a 93 Sierra 5.0L Pickup?

Is there a jumper or something to get error codes?

I have had Chevys in the past that this could be done on.

If this can be done where can I get instructions and the list of error codes?

The truck started running rough one morning after I started up - it was running just fine the day before. ======== ======== Lex, Yes........Yes.......the Internet

side note 4-U...... the info yer after is not gonna be enough to fix yer truck......as the old saying goes...

"I've never seen a Scanner fix one yet"

Code's, and their definition, do help.... but only as a reference to an area that MAYBE causing a problem, and more often, to an area that is SENSING a problem.

Go to the AutoZoned out store and let them pull up the codes fer yuh...then do a repost.

scrib abell ~:~suggests you do a post on all the symptoms and give a good maintenance history..so's you get some good help~:~

Reply to
Scrib Abell

Thanx for the reply.

I finally found the codes online. I'll check the codes on the truck tonight when I get home.

As far as symptoms and history goes: The truck has 125K miles on it and I have not had it very long so I don't have a service history.

Symptoms - Started happening 1 morning as I went to start the truck I let go of the key just before the engine turned over - after that it would not start. I let it sit for a day and the next day it started right up but runs very rough and barely idles.

When an O2 sensor goes - is it usually gradual or can it go suddenly?

Regards

Reply to
Lex

I just did the test and got no error code (just 12's which is normal)

I tried starting it up again and this time it did not start (maybe flooded as it did almost start right up then did not)

Any suggestions on what I might try checking?

Thanx

Reply to
Lex

Where'd you find the codes? I need to check mine out. Also a 93 GMC but with the 4.3.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Rothwell

Here you go

- good luck

Reply to
Lex

Since it wont even run, sounds like you better start with the basics, fuel and spark. Check for both and then go from there......

Reply to
Scott M

--------------------------------- snipped-for-privacy@no.nope.com (Scott=A0M)

Since it wont even run, sounds like you better start with the basics, fuel and spark. Check for both and then go from there...... =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

what he said...ditto

Nubbs McFarkle //////////////////////////////////////////////

Reply to
Nubbs McFarkle

OK - I checked the plugs and the distributor cap. Both are definately due for a change but I can't see either of these causing such a sudden problem.

I did manage to get the truck started again. The only way I could start it was with the gas pedal jammed to the floor. It ran real rough again. I noticed the exhaust was a greyish color and smelled funny (I wanna say almost gassy). I decided to change the oil while I was at it and the oil had the same smell.

I'll change the plugs, filters and distributor cap over the weekend since they are due - but I don't see any of these as being the problem.

Any suggestion on what else it could be or what I could try?

Thanx for all you help so far!

Reply to
Lex

Me guesses it will. Rotors and cables make a big fricken difference. If your exhaust smells like gas, and even your oil smells like gas, your gettin gas. What keeps gas from burnin? It taint lack of it..... it's lack of spark.

One thing I can tell you about buying cars, unless you got it from a dealer replace all the fluids - ALL. Now you KNOW they have been changed, are good, and you have a mileage so you know when to change them again.

Reply to
KJ

If you don't have access to a scan tool, this would just be a shotgun in the dark... I have changed many coolant temp sensors in these, plus the pigtail for corrosion and resistance issues... the truck thinks it's like 30 below and floods thr truck out..... unplug the coolant temp sensor in the front of the intake... 2 wires, yellow and black..see if you see the green goop taking over inside....Bobo

Reply to
Bobo

We have a winner - Bobo got it right. It was the Coolant sensor. I wish I had read your post before I gave up and brought it to the auto place. $160 lesson.

Anyway - thanx all.

Reply to
Lex