'94 1500 Headlights Stopped

Hello,

Thursday night my headlights were acting funky and kept dimming on and off like the power was was intermittent. Voltage gauge read normally and all the other lights weren't acting up. A few minutes later the lights didn't come on when I cut the lights off at the store. I play with the dimmer switch on the console and the brights start to come on and I get them to stay lit.

Now the headlights don't come on at all but the parking lights and turn signals all work. I recently replaced the dimmer switch near the footwell at the bottom of the console a few months ago as it was really old and worn out and that was the problem I had earlier. Is it the dimmer switch again?

Reply to
skeeter66

I suppose it could be the dimmer switch again. You can always check for proper switch operation with an ohm meter.

But, before I'd replace the switch, I'd check first for loose wiring connections, especially at the switch. I'd also check for a blown fuse. On a truck as old as yours, I might also trace the headlight wiring to see if there are any damaged wires.

Reply to
David

Dimmer switch does not dim headlights, only dash lights. If it does have a effect on headlights it is because you have a bad ground in headlight circuit and it is seeking a ground through dimmer circuit. Cars have "strange" ground circuit returns by design so that if a ground fails it can try to seek a ground via another path but with reduced performance.

Reply to
SnoMan