94 Sonoma cam replacement

The camshaft is broken on this 2.2L 4 cyl. Im going to replace it along with new lifters. The cam bearings are not going to be replaced. The engine has a lot of miles on it and Im just trying to get it going for basic transportation without breaking the bank. Is it going to cause problems going with the old bearings?

Thanks for the opinions

Reply to
Larry

I have yet to see a cam break and not cause damage to the cam bearings, lifters and depending on how it broke, other internal engine damage. I would replace the cam, bearings and lifters at a bear minimum. The cam bearings are not that expensive.

I wouldn't plan on the engine lasting a whole lot longer without a complete rebuild either.

Reply to
Mark Schooley

Bigger unknown is why did cam break uin the first place. Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

What about bent/broken valves?

Reply to
Meat Plow

The cam broke because of the engine jumped time. The tensioner was worn out. The window of opportunity for working on the engine is limited so Im doing what I can when I can. Are replacing the cam bearings a big job once the cam is out? I have yet to know what all is damaged. The engine might not be worth saving.

Thanks

Reply to
Larry

I wouldn't bother that engine is likely scrap. If the timing jumped enough for the cam to break your going to find a lot more damage. Plan on probable piston damage from the valves hitting them. Major valve damage and probably the head has a few cracks from the beating the valves and guides took. Your also going to find you will need new push rods and lifters and cam bearings. It is also possible that the lifter gallery has a few cracks as well. Plan on dropping the pan to find all the bits of iron from the destroyed parts.

Basically I would yank the eng> The cam broke because of the engine jumped time. The tensioner was worn out.

Reply to
Steve W.

I am going to agree here, it is not cost effective to repair that engine, lets not forget possible bent rods.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning