94 Suburban A/C Evaporator

Hi there.

Just a quick question for those that have been there before me.

I need to replace the A/C evaporator core under the dash of my 1994

2wd GMC Suburban [I'll have the system professionally recharged]. It looks like a huge job but the flat rate manual says 4.6 hours, not really all that bad. Any helpful advice or tips to make life easier would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance :-)

Reply to
Opus-

94 isn't that bad. Not like the later ones. No real tricks other than make sure you get all the fasteners loose on the plenum cover before you try to remove it.
Reply to
Steve W.

On Sat, 02 Jun 2012 09:39:15 -0400, "Steve W." spake thusly:

Started the project today. As with any 18 year old vehicle [with

378,000 km's.] a new problem presented itself, unrelated to the a/c. The heater hose coupler beside the distributor started leaking. I knew I had a coolant leak but I finally found it now. BUT..the faulty coupler broke away from the manifold, leaving a piece of pipe stuck in the manifold.

When it rains, it pours.

Reply to
Opus-

VERY common problem. The repair is actually not that hard. Grab a small saw blade and cut the piece that is in the manifold in two places. Only cut until you get through the main part not entirely through the threads. Now take a hammer and break the pieces out and remove them. Clean it up and when you install the new one give it a coat of thread sealer on the outside. Shouldn't take more than 20 minutes to do the job.

Reply to
Steve W.

On Sun, 03 Jun 2012 21:24:05 -0400, "Steve W." spake thusly:

Damn, I guess I didn't need to go to the boneyard for another manifold. I should have thought of that, seems so obvious now. I am going for a piece of pipe and a hose, like they USED to do it, since

1955. If this were in the shop where I work, I likely would have thought of that, but in my own back yard, the thought process is different. Fatigue [and beer] didn't help. that is pretty much the same method I used to remove the old Pitman arm a couple of years ago. I cut into the side until I was ALMOST at the shaft, being careful not to cut into the shaft. Then a hammer and chisel made it easy to crack it open.

I can easily see how it was a common problem, judging by what I saw at the boneyard.

Reply to
Opus-