95 Chevy Blazer s10 EGR problem maybe.

my truck has been running like crap since this summer. Tey said it was EGR system so they cleaned the system and closed it up and its run fine for a few more months maybe, then same thing, and they clean it again and say if it does it again I should need an EGR valve.

Well now its knocking after my last oil change I think. So I replaced the EGR. But then my acceleration went to hell, and it still knocks. So I unplugged the EGR connector and acceleration came back, but now occasionally hard to start, and it still knocks. Or maybe its a ping?

I think maybe I got a bum EGR valve. Any other ideas?

Also heat occasionally disappears, and temp gauge climbs up toward 210. Then it comes back and heat drops back down a bit. I just had it flushed (it was nasty), but it seems to have a small leak.

only about 140,000mi on it and its 2wd.

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

you better get that leak fixed first, go fill it up now before you burn it up. Overheating causes ping too.

Reply to
ShoeSaleman

its not overheating. I keep my eye on the temp. But the liquid in the heater core does seem to boil after I park the car. I think thats a 2nd issue though.

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Sounds like a bad intake gasket.

Reply to
Steve W.

Really? Someone pointed out that its not actually boiling, but the quick-change folks left air in my system, so ill get them to fix that. And I had the intake manifold (I think) cleaned this summer when the EGR system first started acting up. So they supposedly put new gasket on then. You think it would have gone bad so quickly? Or maybe they didnt actually do anything and ripped me off.

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

pinging sounds like a rattle, can you discribe the sound better? what kind of egr is it vac? elect?

Reply to
ShoeSaleman

It was not a ping but a knock. i know this because now its knocking and pinging and squeaking and squealing... I towed it to a mechanic and well see what happens.

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Its Dead. Engine is shot.

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

I re-read all the posts and unless I missed it, you never said what engine we were dealing with. Also from your post am I to understand you had the intake removed and then new gaskets installed? here is why I ask. If its a V-6, and they used some variety of a "scotch loc" to clean the head surfaces, then you may have recourse. This was a common practice back in the early 80's using a right angle die grinder and scotch pads, like the green ones your wife uses to clean pots and pans. Only the "pads" used on die grinders have abrasives such as aluminum oxide. This stuff gets in the engine and takes the bearings out. The new cars with their much tighter tolerances are more susceptible to damage. If you were getting coolant in the oil, that could take the bearings out too.

140,000 miles on an engine today aint nothing.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

I agree. I feel like something put this one under, but I wasnt alert enough to catch what it was. The dealership did the so-called cleaning.

It really started downhill after the oilchange. But I just can't be sure as it may have already started. But what is bothersome is that the problem has gotten worse and worse every day since the oil change.

Maybe the oil pump was bad. That could be it.I have had a funny feeling about the oil pressure.

If my main mechanic would not have been renovating forcing me to go to dealership, the truck would probably be here now.

Honestly, I'm just glad to be done with it.

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert