95 pickup electrical problem

I have a 95 C1500 with an electrical problem and I don't know where to start looking. With the ignition off the brake lights work fine. Start the truck brake lights, turn signals, and flashers operate normal. Put the truck in gear, the brake lights will come on, press the brake pedal and the lights go out. The third light on the cab operates normal. Has anyone experenced this problem and can give me a clue where to start?

Reply to
Jim

Greetings,

First thing to check is that you have a good ground connection at the lights. The ground wiring may look good, but even a little corrosion can cause problems. Run a jumper wire from one of the known ground wires on one or both of your taillights to a clean spot on the body and see if that changes anything. Also check to see if the bulbs are seated properly and there are no two-filament bulbs with one filament burned out. Sometimes it's just something small like that and you never see it until you remove the buld and look at it with the naked eye.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Hi!

Go one step further and check your bulbs with a multimeter. I've got a dual filament bulb sitting here from my truck with the turn signal filament burned out...it looks perfect to the naked eye (and even a magnifying glass has failed to reveal a break) but tests with infinite resistance on a meter and does not work in the truck (=fast blinker).

William The Guesser

Reply to
William R. Walsh