95 S-10 ECM Error Codes

Well I went back to AutoZone and the guy there hooked up my S-10 to his hand held decoder. Got nothing. Again he told me they would probably show if the 'check engine light' was on or had been on recently. Mine was on last this past Monday. I went home and tried to pull the codes with a paperclip. No luck. Perhaps it's because I'm not clear on how to do this.

Any suggestions?

TIA

Reply to
Jim Becker

OK...I think I figured out the 'flash' concept and the codes I believe I've got are: 32 and 43. Any ideas?

My problem is mainly at higher speed changes, floating sensation, engine runs slightly hotter than normal but does cool down most of the time. Idle appears to be OK. Just when you're at about 50+ and you need some acceleration to say 60+, and then again if you're at 60+ and let up to say

50, then try and go back. Engine is very hesitant and 'floats'.

TIA

Reply to
Jim Becker

Jim,

32= EGR Failure

43= ESC Malfunction/Knoock Sensor Failure.

These two problems are not related to one another. ESC is comprised of two components, the ESC Module and a Knock Sensor. This error is set when the ESC module isn't getting a signal from the KS. When 43 is set, the system defaults to full spark retard and really bogs down.

The EGR system is comprised of two parts, the EGR valve and the ERG solenoid

  • related vacuum hoses/wiring if electric valve. This error is set when the EGR valve fails to open or fails to close. Yours is most likely failing to open. When the EGR opens it lowers combustion temps and NOx levels (it's an emissions thingie). Your hotter temps could be the result of the EGR malfunction.

Steps I would take (listed in order):

1) If the vehicle has over 75k miles, replace the EGR valve. 2) Check ignition timing. Incorrect ignition timing can set a code 43. 3) If timing is correct, check the wire that runs from the KS to the ECM. They have a tendency to wander and attach themselves to very hot objects. 4) If timing and KS check out OK, remove KS and take it to AZ to have it tested.

Regards,

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Thanks Doc!

I'll look into getting the EGR value replaced. My truck has 93+K on it. Its been a good truck and I want to keep it.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Becker

Jim,

If you're handy, an EGR swap is a super easy job; save yerself' some $$$ and DIY if you feel comfortable.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Doc...any idea what an EGR value for my truck would cost. I've got the 6 cylinder. What tools, gaskets, etc. are required to change it?

TIA

Jim

Reply to
Jim Becker

Jim,

If you're in America go to

and look your part up. It will either be in the $60-$80 range if it's mechanical, $200-$250 range if it's electrical. The EGR valve will come with a new gasket. The only tools you'll need are a 1/2 drive ratchet or breaker bar to bust the bolts loose and the right size socket. Can't remember if the 95's used the weird star-bit bolts or not...............

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"