'95 S-10 Fuel Tank Removal Question

I need to drop the fuel tank on my 1995 S-10 pickup so I can replace the fuel pump, but I don't know the best way to do it. Does anyone know whether I should (1) remove the drive shaft and slide the fuel tank off the front bracket towards the passenger side, (2) remove the front bracket altogether and drop it straight down, or (3) do something else entirely. The problem I'm having with option (2) is that I can't get to the fourth bolt to get it off (it's hidden behind the parking brake cable). Any advice would be appreciated.

J. Kearney

Reply to
Joe Kearney

Ive never done the "remove the bed" way but "they" say its easier. If you do drop the tank... Remove the bracket, no need to remove the driveshaft. if the cable is in the way find a way to move it. Also drain the tank! :)

Reply to
ShoeSalesman

I've never removed a bed to work on a fuel tank ether. For the life of me I don't see how it can be "easier" the damn thing is heavy, its ungainly, they flex, its easy to scrape the hell out of the paint on the cab and bed lifting it off, or to crump the bottom of the bed sides as they aint what they used to be strength wise. I guess if you have a big oak tree in the back yard to rig a sling to it might be. I can remember being stationed on Ft Hood, the auto craft shop required the fuel tank to be removed from a vehicle before you wield on it, my Jeep J-20 had a 42 gallon tank, the S-10's got what, an 18 gallon tank to contend with?

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

If you have 3 friends to help lift it,lay a blanket or 2 across the front of the bed to keep from scratching the cab and lay it in the yard your home free.Then its real easy to get to the top of the tank.

Reply to
Dafey

Maybe it a good way for the "body work inclined" people, not mechanics....I really don't know, that tank isn't that hard. (done mine about 3 times so far).......:( Ever have a parts store give you a pump for a TBI when you need one for a MPI? I guess they thought I needed the practice pulling my tank. Moral of the story: always look over the parts guy's shoulder when he looks up your part.

Reply to
ShoeSalesman

the bed to keep from scratching the cab and lay it in the yard your home free.Then its real easy to get to the top of the tank.

I concur, that's the way we did it on my F/S PU, worked like a charm. biggest caveat was that I had to remove the trailer hitch and bumper, so it was about 12 bolts. anyway, we just propped it up with a couple of 2x4's and didn't have to remove it completely. I found a website that shows step by step, sorry, I no longer have the link.

I think the bed method was easier, especially since I had a full tank of gas.

I used an impact wrench with an extension to get the bolts off and then back on, they taper a little so the more they get on, the harder they are to turn.

Reply to
nanook

If you have 3 friends to help lift it,lay a blanket or 2 across the front of the bed to keep from scratching the cab and lay it in the yard your home free.Then its real easy to get to the top of the tank.

Reply to
Delbert

Reply to
JBDragon

A lift, transmission jack and a couple straps. Removing the bed isn't the answer IMO. Done it both ways and dropping the tank is easier.

Nuclear Option

FAR easier to pull the bed. Pull the bed and you don't have to worry about damaging the lines, breaking the retaining strap bolts off, damaging the wiring. Also with the bed off you can look over the frame and mounts plus see the lines and wiring much better. It also allows you to pressure wash the crap off the tank top and the frame before you attempt to work on the retainer ring. You can also spray some chassis saver paint on the frame while you have it apart and undercoat the bed which will help prevent rust.

Reply to
Steve W.

As old as that truck is, You can CUT a hole in the bottom of the BED and work thru the hole, When Done , Screw a plate over the hole u made !

Reply to
tom

well that's one way, but who wants to screw up their bed..That's just nuts, have you got a screw lose in the plate in your head?

Reply to
Delbert

I used two floor jacks and a 2x6. Slowly lowering one then the other.

Reply to
ronlin79

Reply to
ronlin79

Hell while your at it do a body lift.You would be half way there doing the tank.

Reply to
Dafey

Did mine with a floor jack and a scrap of plywood. Hardest part was removing the hoses from the top of the tank. BTW: You can not get the fuel out without disconnecting the filler neck. My tank was full when it quit. Getting the fuel out and in my other truck was a problem. The tank is so low I could not start a siphon into a gas can. If I could have got the pump to run I would have let it pump it out:)

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Removing the hoses is EASY , compared to re-attaching them to the pump .. Very little room to work with .

Also No NEED to DRAIN the tank if u Remove the BED !

BTW: You can not get the fuel out

Reply to
tom

I'm not likely to be popular after writing this. But my 87 S-10 Blazer needed a fuel pump. I found it easier to use a Sawzall, and make a hole in the sheet metal to get at the fuel pump. The fuel tank on mine was behind the differential, and the fuel pump was centered in the tank. It was high mileage, and I just used the back for tools. Some sheet metal, and lay the carpet back over the damage I'd done.

I did have the fuel tank out to fix some leaks, and oughta had them replace the fuel pump while the tank was out. Later, I got to replace the tank. Shoulda done that.... you know how that goes.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon