95 S10 Horn Problem

Hi Gang!

Here's what I've got...95 S-10 6 cyl.....there's something going on with the horn. The other day it would work at all. Today I took a closer look and found that the fuse is OK, and the horn itself is fine. What the problem appears to be is in the steering wheel pad. It acts like the contacts are not doing their thing. I finally was able to get the horn to work intermitely. The airbag is also locate din this location.

Any idea how to tackle this without tearing all the way into the airbag?

Jim

Reply to
Jim Becker

ya, put in a new switch on the dash. BTW I am looking to install the loudest horn possible in my truck. I was at the marine shop and was thinking about a yacht horn and also a big rig horn. Any ideas what I could do for cheap?

Reply to
Rich

Go "borrow" a horn from a train. Might need a source of pressurized air to run it, but boy howdy are they loud. A business around here has what must be a train horn on their truck and I've heard it go off. It will scare the daylights out of a fella!

William The Guesser

Reply to
William R. Walsh

I like this idea! Exactly what I was after. Anybody know more about train horns?

Reply to
Rich

Check out JCWhitney.com, their paper catalog had 2 pages full of horns and sirens. I remember laughing thinking about the on-road chaos that could be had with sirens and train horns. Especially on these LA freeways where half the people are asleep at the wheel.

I see one right here 117db dual trumpet air horn with electric compressor for 40 bucks. Then theres one that "outblasts even the most powerful train horns" at 152db for 300.00.

Reply to
DIE SPAM

Need a Working PSI over 100 and of course a storage tank/compressor. All locomotives have different sounding horns, shop around.

Reply to
JP

Locomotive horns are big, usually painted ugly, and use a LOT of air. I have a set or dual Whelens I took off an old GMC 10 wheeler. They are rather hi pitched. The ones on the 90's and up Mac's are a deeper tone. You will need a compressor and receiver to have enough air to make them sound right.

Reply to
JR