95 Suburban 3/4 4x4 trans problem.

My buddies truck lost 2nd and reverse on a camping trip. 135,000 miles . Im guessing it has a 4L60E, I think its the sun shell . One chain shop quoted $2000 to rebuild , $1200 to install new sun shell. Which shocked the hell out of me. As I havn't graduated from turbo 350s yet. And I got the

350 rebuilt, the carrier bearing , power steering hoses , and u joints relaced for $895 two years ago in my old Suburban. . The best damn trans shop in town closed up . Retired after 40 years. He' s considering budget options. Such as waiting as long as possible and getting a used low mile one. or rebuilding it himself. Hes got a stand up facility for the tear down . Hasn't done one yet. Its probably the original trans thats been in there since 95. But, I think he wants a bullit proof trans with a warranty , he dont trust shops, or he wants to do it himself to guarantee the parts are top notch. Saying that , Anyone know a great trans shop in Northern Ohio, Anyone know what years will swap , and what good parts have to be put in if its open. Who makes a good shell for instance.
Reply to
None4U

Tell him to do the r. and r. himself and buy a goodwrench tranny to put in it. I've bought about 30 of them and never had a problem. I think if he rebuilds it himself he's in for a surprise. They're not complicated but they're not simple either and do require a few special tools to do properly.

nobody #1

Reply to
nobody #1