96 Chevy 4.3L water leaking from timing chain cover

96 Chevy 4.3L V6 water leaking from timing chain cover at front of engine. 180,000 miles on engine.

It is trickling from the sides of the cover. There is no water in the oil, and the water pump leak hole is dry. Would this be an intake manifold gasket leaking? I don't see how water would get into the timing chain cover otherwise. Maybe someone that knows this engine could advise me on the probable cause and solution.

Thanks for your help! Libby

Reply to
LibbyChantel

Sounds like intake leaking but never seen one leak on both sides before. Another possablity is the thermostate housing leaking, or as the weather is cold, leaking hose clamp on the upper hose. There is a lot to be said for the 'spring" style hose clamps vs the screw type. many parts stores now let you "borrow" tools, a cooling system pressure tester is usually one of them they do this with. Water leaking is odd tho, you do have antifreeze in the coolant I hope? Is it just water, or is it coolant?

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

The water isn't coming from inside the timing cover. There is a leak above the cover and it is coming down around it. Likely suspects are the heater lines next to the thermostat housing. Upper radiator hose. The thermostat housing gasket or the intake manifold gaskets. Could even be a pinhole leak in the back of the water pump spraying onto the area and leaking down.

Reply to
Steve W.