96 chevy died

My 96 Chevy 1500 just quit on me while driving. My first reaction was fuel pump, but when I poured fuel down the throttle body and turned the key, the truck wouldn't run. Then I noticed that when I turn the ignition switch on, none of the dash lights work. (Check engine, air bag,no buzzers, etc). The Oil, temp, and volts guages don't read right. The fuel pump doesn't buzz (it will when I jump the relay) and I'm not getting any spark at the plugs. New plugs, rotor, cap and wires 4-5 months ago. The truck has just under 200k on it. It is like a total electrical open. The head lights, radio, starter, wipers, and dome lights work. Any ideas where to start checking ? Did the 'puter die? Is there a fuseable link somewhere causing this ? Thanks.

Reply to
jdpolk

"jdpolk" wrote: My 96 Chevy 1500 just quit on me while driving. My first reaction was fuel pump, but when I poured fuel down the throttle body and turned the key, the truck wouldn't run. Then I noticed that when I turn the ignition switch on, none of the dash lights work. (Check engine, air bag,no buzzers, etc). The Oil, temp, and volts guages don't read right. The fuel pump doesn't buzz (it will when I jump the relay) and I'm not getting any spark at the plugs. New plugs, rotor, cap and wires 4-5 months ago. The truck has just under 200k on it. It is like a total electrical open. The head lights, radio, starter, wipers, and dome lights work. Any ideas where to start checking ? Did the 'puter die? Is there a fuseable link somewhere causing this ?Thanks.

I had that problem twice on a 2000 Chevy 2500. Once was the two piece battery cable was corrode where the washer connects the two cables. Changed bolt and washer solved problem. Second time was the ignition switch went bad.

Sarge

Reply to
Sarge

I think I have traced it back to a ignition switch problem. I don't have 12V at the underwood fuse labeled ECM1, if I put 12V to it the truck starts and runs. ECM1 gets it 12V from the ignition switch.

Reply to
jdpolk

"jdpolk" wrote: "I think I have traced it back to a ignition switch problem. I don't have 12V at the underwood fuse labeled ECM1, if I put 12V to it the truck starts and runs. ECM1 gets it 12V from the ignition switch."

If you drop the steering wheel cover you can sometimes press different ways on the ignition switch plastic box. If it starts then you definitely that is your problem. I drove around with mine off Jimmy it every time I started the truck while waiting on the switch to arrive from gmpartsdirect. No one locally had the one I needed and was twice as high.

Sarge

Reply to
Sarge

I found one here at the local parts place, $121.00.

Reply to
jdpolk