96 GMC Starting Problems

I have been having some cold start problems recently. . First thing in the AM, all I would have to do is turn the key on and off a few times, bump it ( not hold it to crank) and she would fire right up. It would start fine the rest of the day.

I am from NC but just went to NY for the holidays. While there, the truck did NOT like the cold, and it gave me all kinds of problems starting. Towards the end of the visit, she got better. I chalked it up to the cold damp weather. My brother hooked it to his scanner and all sensors and other doo dads were all 100%

We just drove home to NC, and made a few gas and pee breaks along the way. No problems at all. Got back home, and about 30 minutes later went out to go on an errand and the truck will NOT start. Cranks fine, plenty o' power, but no fire. Got spark, but will not start. Tried all the tricks...foot to the floor, hold the cranking, but no love. I will try it in the AM, the way I would normally start her.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Eightupman

Reply to
Eightupman

Flakey fuel pump? Mike (also in NC)

Reply to
Mike Copeland

If you can see gas going into the TBI while someone cranks the motor, I'd start with changing plugs, wires, distributor cap & rotor. If that doesn't help, change the module under the dist. cap ($40.00). If there is no fuel visible you have a fuel pump problem.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Stockton

Fuel pump went out. Could not have been a better time. In the driveway after a 6 hour run. It was a PIG to change, my Hanes manual was little help.

Thanks all

Eightupman

Reply to
Eightupman