97 Astro AWD front axle shaft

I have a 97 Astro AWD van with a leaking front driver side axle seal. I am trying to remove the front driver side drive axle to replace the axle seal. I have disconnected the knuckle from the upper ball joint, removed the axle nut, tapped the drive shaft loose from the hub, disconnected the lower shock mount, disconnected the tie rod end, caliper, rotor and the ABS sensor.

The problem is that the axle shaft would not clear the hub. I pushed the drive shaft up and down and all the way into the diff. Those CV boots are really hard to push in. Moved the knuckle to the left and to the right. But it is just not enough room to get the drive shaft end out of the wheel hub. No matter how hard I pushed the shaft into the diff.

The only thing left is the lower ball joint holding the knuckle up with the hub in it. If I disconnect the lower ball joint, I know the drive shaft would come out for sure. But that lower ball joint is hard to remove. I don't want to damage the grease boot with a pickle fork. My proper ball joint remove tool won't fit.

Here is my question. Do I have to disconnect the lower ball joint to get the drive shaft out of the diff housing?

I am getting really frustrated now since I have tried to get the shaft out twice already. It just won't clear the hub.

Kai

Reply to
kainip

tried to send you a pdf from an astro maintenance cd i have. your email didn't work. ...thehick

Reply to
thehick

Try kainip123(AT)yahoo.com Thanks

Reply to
kainip

ok done ...thehick

Reply to
thehick

Thank you very much. I did removed everthing it sez already and more. Looks like I didn't need to take out the tie rod end. I did remove it the second time hoping that would give me more room to move the Knuckle. But it didn't help either.

My problem is that I can't push the drive shaft in far enough to the diff to clear the hub. I don't know why?

Does anyone here in the group have taken the driver side CV drive shaft out? You have no problem clear the hub?

Please help, I am stuck.

Reply to
kainip

ok. my last effort. you really should jo The front axle seal is easily changed if you can slide the axle shaft off to the side after removing the 6 bolts joining the axle to the differential.

If you cannot do the above you will have to seperate the lower ball joint to gain the necessary clearance to swing the axle out of the way.

Once the axle is out of the way, take a couple of large screwdrivers, placing one on each side of the differential axle flange "pop" the flange out of the differential. (it is held in with a 'snap ring in groove'.

You now have access to the seal and can 'pop' it out or do as I did. I removed the bolts holding the retaining plate that the seal sits in. There is no gasket to worry about as it is installed with RTV sealant. By removing the retaining plate you have better access to the seal and cleaning the old sealant from from the differential is not a hard job.

Go with the OEM seal as the aftermarket seal does not have a flange and I believe it is possible to install the seal too deeply into the retaining plate and this could cut off the oil supply to the side bearings (axle and differential). This may not be a problem (depth of seal) but I was damn careful not to install the seal too deep.

The flange on the OEM seal prevents the seal from being installed too deeply.

Another little trick is, While cleaning up the retaining plate and differential area, stick the seal in the freezer. When you are ready to install the seal remove it from the freezer and it will slip right into place. No BFH or anything. You have to be fairly fast as once the seal warms up it will not be easy to move without the BFH.

Reply to
thehick

I don't have the 6 bolts.

Well, I was hoping I don't have to do that. I guess it is the only way to get the drive shaft out.

Thank you for your help.

Reply to
kainip