'97 C-1500 intermittant startup problem...

Hi all,

I just purchased a '97 C-1500 Cheyenne from Carmax...nice truck, but only one problem. The first day I brought it home and went to leave someone's house, I hopped in, turned the ignition key and nothing happened. Lights on the dash came on, but no cranking of the engine at all. I'm used to driving stick shifts so I thought maybe I was doing something sequentially wrong...I.E. press the brake before starting, release the parking brake first...etc. Well, after getting out and scratching my head for a minute, and giving my wife a quizzical look, I got back in and it started right up. Go figure.

The next day I went to work and it happened again. I once again tried several things, including cycling the gear shifter throught all it's positions before putting it in park and trying again...Nothing! I scratched my head again and thought that the car should also start in Neutral...Voila'...it started right up. I went through the exact same proceedure when it happened again...no start in park, start in neutral.

I took the truck to Carmax and explained the problem...INTERMITTANT starting problem! They kept it for the day and called me back to report that there was "no trouble found." Suprise! Anyway, I told them that it was intermittant and that they could keep it another day to see if they could replicate the problem. So they are doing so. I have also contacted Chevy and they told me there were no TSB's or recalls on the truck. I spoke with the lead tech at the dealership who informed me of the following possible causes.

1) defective PRNDL switch (neutral/park safety switch) 2) loose battery connections causing erroneous data 3) defective ignition switch

My question after being sooooo long winded (and I appologize) is:

Has anyone else out there experienced the same problem? And, if so, what was the solution?

I really like this truck (I mean I really, really like this truck). But I don't want to keep it if I'm going to have to deal with this problem for God who knows how long until it completely breaks down just so they can diagnose it. I know intermittants are the worst kind of problem out there (I know, I used to do computer work) so that's why I'm trying so hard to get an answer.

Sincerely, Scott

Reply to
sjb

Does it start EVERY time when you have the gear selector in neutral?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

So far... I just picked it up again from Carmax today. They say they tried many times over the course of the last 2 days to start it but couldn't replicate the problem. I noticed that the truck was still in the same spot it was in when I dropped it off, so I don't think they "drove" it anywhere. I'm half tempted to tell them to shove it, but I figure I could try replacing the PRNDL switch myself ...assuming that they aren't too much. I'll see what happens over the course of the next couple of days.

Scott

Reply to
sjb

I've switched out a few on this vintage truck. About $15 IIRC and takes about 10 minutes to replace.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Doc,

Thanks...that's what I was figuring. I just hope it doesn't end up being the ignition sw. Carmax stated that they would work with me on the problem should it continue to happen (I.E. Fix it). It didn't do it at all yesterday...I guess I'll take it a day at a time. Thanks for your input.

Reply to
sjb

Same thing happened to my '94 Cheyenne and it was a bad ignition module under the distributor cap. $40.00

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Stockton

Ah! Good to hear of another possible cause..

BTW - (and Doc if your listening...) it happened again tonight on my way home. Went to start it...jumped in and turned the key without touching anything else, and nothing. I tried several times but no luck. Put it in Neutral...started right up. So, Doc...you asked if it started alright in neutral everytime? Well, I'm starting to think so...what're your thoughts? Still the PRNDL switch?

Reply to
sjb

The neutral-safety switch prohibits the vehicle from CRANKING when it's not in P or N. When you get the no-start, does everything else fire up (dash lights, radio, etc.) except for the starter? If so, I'd replace the switch.

If you get NOTHING, no power to dash, radio, etc., I'd suspect the ignition switch OR some loose wiring inside the column harness.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Doc,

Yes, I get everything but a cranking engine.... Can the switch allow cranking on N but not in park? Even so, I think I'll just go ahead and replace the switch (assuming that it's as inexpensive as you stated). Once again...thank you!

Scott

Reply to
sjb

If the switch is bad, yes, it could allow start in N but not in P. When you get it out you'll see why.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Thanks...I'll check it out in the next couple of days.

Scott

Reply to
sjb

Dear Doc,

Well it seems that whatever the reason for the truck not starting has shown its face...it appears that the other day I went to put the truck into park and noticed that the truck rolled both forward and backward when in that gear. I was thinking it might be a linkage problem but, I took it back to Carmax and was informed that it is something IN the transmission that is the reason for both the problem that I had for it not starting, and for the rolling in park problem. They have a part on order...my question is: what part is it? I'm not transmission savy, but my concern is that it is something indicitive (sp) of an abused transmission. Or, is it fairly common for this component to fail? What's your take on it?

Sincerely,

Scott

Reply to
sjb

Our ng transmission guru (Transurgeon) is on a sabatical right now and I'm NOT the person to ask transmission questions! What kind of warranty did they give you?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

my vote is still for a crapped out P/N switch, which is on the trans itself on that year. sounds to me like they're "simplifying" the issue for you... the starting circuit really isn't that complicated. how much rolling back and forth is there? if it's less than 6" either way (depending on how low it's geared) it's most likely normal. if it just rolls away, obviously, it's not (normal).

HTH, Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

===================== Sounds like the shifter is just out of wack. Probably wouldnt hurt to put a new plastic bushing in the hole at the trans and then adjust the link.............

Reply to
Scott M

It appears that the problem was in the "parking rod" of the transmission...their cost - $250. It fixed it, whatever it was. And, it didn't cost me a dime (other than the 40 mile one way trips out to them - and at today's gas prices, and in that truck, hmmmm let's see that amounts to about - hey my calculator just crashed!:>)). I must say that they (Carmax) did all that they said they would and fixed the problem. I was concerned about the intermittant at first and was glad it did completely screw up so it could be fixed. Despite my initial frustration I'm still VERY glad to have bought the truck. I've always been a Chevy fan, but never owned a full size before. NICE! Thanks for everyone's input...especially you DOC. It's nice to know there are resources out there...

Scott

Reply to
sjb

transmission.

Glad to hear they got it fixed! Enjoy your new truck.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"