Hi Group,

I am a newbie here and am hoping that this group proves to be a useful resource. I just purchased my first pickup truck a 1997 Chev 1500 shortbox/reg cab, 5 speed, a/c, 2wd 4.3L V6. It has 150,000 km's on it. As far as I know it is completely stock besides a K&N air filter I installed when I purchased it. My question is this: What modifications can I do to this truck, namely to increase power and give the truck a throaty 350 sound while maintaining a relatively moderate budget (sub 1000.00 MAX) and not shaving the head or porting the intake or anything crazy like that. I would also be interested in potentially lowering the vehicle a bit. The second question is: With 150, 000 km's on the truck, and not knowing any service history, what should I do in terms or a tune-up? Plugs/wires, cap/rotor, pcv valve, fuel filter, manual tranny (gear) oil, etc..... Is there any problem areas with this particular truck I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

BTW the conversion is 150,000kms = 93,750 miles

;-)

Reply to
Rich

one other thing. The oil pressure gague seems to read high. What is normal range for this gague. I can't remember the numbers but it is normally sitting around 3/4-7/8 it will go down to 5/8 when idling.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Rich, Congrats on the new Chevy purchase. Without knowing service history, I'd inspect a few things before throwing a complete tune up on it. Pull a plug and check it's condition. Take a look at the dist cap/rotor, how do they look?

Definately replace the fuel filter. As far as the tranny lube goes, pull the plug on the side of the tranny (passenger side, near the top), and stick yer finger in there. The lube level should be even with the hole. If it's not, you may as well drain it, and change it, you're under there already. Where I live, the Synchromesh tranny fluid is only available at the dealer, about $8/qt. It's imperative that you use the right fluid in the tranny. Check with the dealer; they may have changed the fluid specs from one year to another.

I would imagine you could throw a cat-back exhaust on there, to get a bit of performance/sound upgrade, but I don't think you'll achieve that "350 Chevy" sound.

And finally, since you're new to the group, there is TONS on info in here on yer rig. And the folks in here are great.

Rick K

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
luckystrike39

Rich,

Around 60 psi when you first start it up, dead cold, in Park. Around 25-30 psi, engine HOT, in Park.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

i think it is running high. what does this indicate?

Thanks.

P.S. Does the K&N filter do me any good? I have heard conflicting opinions.

Thanks

Reply to
Rich

No, it lets too much dirt through. If you do a thread search there was an awsome post about a study of paper vs. K&N. They were spending $30,000 a month on paper filters, and after about a week of testing, they went back to paper.... They actually had a loader or something that had two banks of cylendars, and one side they K&Ned and the other the papered. It also had a small filter (for what I can't remember) some where AFTER the first filter. The side with the K&N clogged before LUNCH on the FIRST DAY. The guy insisted on continuing to run them in his company car (350CUI) and it DIED at 83,000... not in my chevy (NIMC)

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

Inline..........

Your engine uses 5W30 oil. If you're using a heavier weight, you'll get a higher oil pressure reading. If it's reading "high" with 5W30, congratulations, she's nice and healthy!

Nope, it's a piece of shit that lets too much dirt into your engine.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"