97 Chevy Pickup

My dads alternator is making a noise. He says it gets real hot. He needs to replace it. Never did one and he's 400 miles away. Any help or a link to instruction would be most welcome.

How do you replace the belt on one of them also.

V8 5.7 automatic.

Thanks for help.

James

snipped-for-privacy@centex.net

Reply to
JC

James, VERY easy job.

To loosen the belt, put a socket and breaker bar on the PULLEY bolt of the tensioner. Turn counter-clockwise. Tah-dah, belt's off.

The alternator is even easier. Three to four bolts will be holding it on. After disconnecting both battery cables, remove the wiring from the alt. There will be one big red wire held on by a nut, and one or two wiring harnesses with quick-disconnect plugs. After she's unplugged, remove the mounting bolts and it'll fall right off. Installation is the reverse of normal. BE CAREFUL not to overtighten the bolts when you reassemble. There will be 1-2 bolts that run from the engine mounting bracket and thread into the alt. The alt is aluminum and will strip if you overtighten.

TTLY,

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Thanks for the info, my dads 83 so nothing is easy. ) He called this morning and said it sounded like a freight train, you know click clack. Is that an bad alternator sound ? Guess it could be the brushes gone.

Thanks for the info !

James

Reply to
JC

Perhaps he should have a mechanic look at it? Novel idea eh?

Reply to
Steve Barker

Well I kind of meant a LOCAL mechanic. But whatever.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Yep, that what it was, the brushes, seems the diodes in the alternator where shorted to ground, causing the brushes to ark. Dad checked it with his simpson ohm meter.

He use to work on them big engines,(Clarks,WP ect.) you know the ones that pump gas and make elecricity. Some had 20 inch cylinders, and then there was them screaming turbines !

Partsman said it's common on those alternators.

Happy to know my dad still can fix stuff, I'm real proud of him !

Hope I'm doing as well when I'm 83 !

Thanks for all the help !

Later, James

Reply to