97 chevy s10 wouldnt start until I moved it a few feet.

Had something funny happen the other night. Went to go start the truck to go home, (It has a new battery) the battery was dead.(all the preset channels had gone away on the stereo) so I decided I would try to kick start it ( the parking lot had a hill) I moved it only about 2 feet and then decided to try to start it again. It started right up! Any ideas on this one? I am thinking maybe the battery cable got wet going to the starter or something like that ..

Thanks

Ed

Reply to
Ed

Check the terminals on the battery. Caution, don't over tighten the center bolt or you will be sorry. Just be sure everything is clean and tight.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

I checked them they are pretty tight and it happened again exaclty the same way. I am starting to think it is the solonoid. Anyone know if the solonoid and starter are seperate ?

Thanks

Ed

Reply to
Ed

Not on a GM.

Reply to
Steve W.

Not exactly correct nor wrong. The solenoid is mounted to the starter, and can be replaced separately. Better question is why? You had a weird a occurrence that has happened one time. Moving the truck had nothing to do with it, just a coincidence. Given the truck is now 7 years old, if your going to change something, change the complete assembly. But unless this has happened often, I wouldn't worry about it. I would follow Al's advice and pull the terminals off the battery and clean them, you need to remove the bolts completely from the cable ends and then carefully with a small flat tip screw driver pry the rubber grommet ends back to expose all of the metal part of the terminal ends on the cables. clean with a wire brush and baking soda. Clean the battery connections as well, If the bolts look nasty, replace them, less than a buck a piece from most auto parts stores. Use the same small flat tip to get the grommets back over the metal part of the terminals. If you look you will see an "o-ring" like protrution on these grommets that fits in a groove around the connection area on the battery. Its designed to help keep the connection clean, so don't cut the grommet off the cables. Use a 5/16 6 point box end wrench to tighten them and they wont strip. Tighten the bolts snuggly, they don't have to be king kong tight.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Check for a loose connection on the solenoid (could even be a loose terminal on the solenoid). This happened to me only the two occurances were one year apart (and it was a loose terminal on the solenoid).

Rich B

If the terminals are clean, the battery is for sure good(forgot about open battery, sometimes bus bars inside that connect the cells will crack), then I would say its time to replace the starter. Price is a fair indicator of quality when it comes to electrical parts. Know the difference between rebuilt, remanufactured, and new. Rebuilt is test, replace only what doesn't work, clean and package, often does not include solenoid. Reman is test, new or turned armature, new bushings and or bearings, brushes and solenoid, clean and package, and new needs no explanation, every piece in it is brand new never used. Rebuilt in dire emergency, reman if cost is a major factor, new if you want no problems for a good number of years.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Thank you