'97 GMC 4.3L V-6 with 4L60/E tranny

Hi all. I hate my tranny...lol I hate it with a passion. It will go into reverse with no prob, go into 1st with no prob and that's where it all stops. It won't go into any other gear. Even if I try to manual shift I get nothing. Been told I should rebuild it, been told to replace solonoids, valve body, this that and that other. All of which adds up to a bit of money. My question is this..Is is possible, (with the right parts) to replace this tranny with the older turbo 400? (which btw I can get one for around $300 from some freinds of mine which is cheaper then any "fix-it" of my stock tranny) I've been reading a lot about this and it seems the turbo 400 was a much better trans. If not why would so many racers still use them? I've read article after article about how this tranny is a POS needing rebuilds. Seems to me GM didn't have as many probs with the turbo 400 as they do now. I realize if it will work it won't be as easy as bolting it to the motor. I assume some changes will need to be made, but after what I've read about the newer trannys, I'll do the extra work. Any ideas from old school gearheads? New school gearheads? Any help would be great.

Crazyoldman (Rob) from hangover, pennsltucky:-)

Reply to
harvick_29_n_3_fan

This has been discussed here before and yes you can retrofit if my memory is good. A search on Google should give you more insight as to what all is needed.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Yes you could swap the trans BUT you will lose quite a bit in both gas mileage and drivability. With the price of 300 dollars to start your looking at close to $1,000 for the rest of the parts to do the conversion. Then you also need to move the transfer case mounts, the drive shafts will need to be altered, you need to modify the belly pan to fit the transfer case.

Reply to
Steve W.

He could also check his local GM dealership and price a replacement. The price might surprise him, and acording to my local dealership parts guy, engines and trannys carry the same warranty new cars are coming with. He has a 10 year old truck, for the tranny to go bad at that age is not something to really get upset about if it has average mileage its well over

150k. I was quoted last week $2,100 for a new tranny and torque convertor, thats cheaper than any rebuild price I've been given. Dealership is Autoway Chevrolet in Clearwater Fl.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning