97 GMC Sierra 1500

I just purchased a 1997 GMC 1500 Sierra. The truck is in great shape for the age and miles (99k). I need to replace the passengers side headlight cover. It almost looks as though someone took some sandpaper or some other abrasive to the lens because it is scratched to the point where it it hurting the effectiveness of the lamp. I can't see how to get the lens cover off, or do I have to take the whole headlight assembly out to replace it? It looks like there's would be a lot of dismantling to get the assembly out, or am I missing some secret here?

TIA

Reply to
PeteK

Try some rubbing compound and cut it down to smooth it out. It should look like new if it's plastic, glass would be harder.

Reply to
Rog