97 S10 2.2L Knock, Ping?

I have a 97 S10, 2.2L, 5 spd, ext cab with 58K miles. The truck runs fine, but I hear what sounds like a ping or knock from (I think) the engine when I accelerate. I don't always hear the noise under accel, and the noise stops immediately when I lift my foot off the pedal. I don't hear it at all at idle or start up, so it doesn't sound like the piston slap issue I've seen on these boards. If it matters - I use 87 octane and the truck still has original plugs.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
cajun626

Could be spark knock or could be an exhaust manifold-to-headpipe leak (donut gasket). Dump some 91 octane and one bottle of Chevron Techron Fuel Injector Cleaner in her next tank and see if the noise goes away.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"