97 Suburban - C1500 2WD - Upper Ball joint

Any suggestions as to the best way to tackle this. I gather I have to drill out the rivets holding in the original ball joint. What size of drill bit should be used? Is it better to just gring the rivet heads off? Is this a job for a reasonably competent home mechanic or should I let a shop do it? Thanks in advance, Doug

Reply to
Droopy

Use an angle grinder to grind the heads off the rivets, then punch the rivet shafts thru the upper control arm with a punch and a BFH. Very easy to do, just be sure to get her aligned afterwards.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

I aassume that BFH is a highly technical term that involves a big hammer . Also do the replacement parts come with the necessary bolts, studs or the like to replace the rivets. I was quoted $330 + parts to do this work, including alignment -seems a lot for drilling out six rivets and bolting in six studs! Doug

Reply to
Droopy

All attaching hardware should be included. BTW, if you don't have a grinder, you can center-punch the rivet heads and drill them out using a bit smaller than the rivet shaft (check the replacement bolts for size) then pop the heads off with a cold chisel and a BFH. Don't forget to lube them after they're installed (if they take lubrication).

Rich B

"Rich B" wrote: > >Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Tue, May 17, > >2005, 12:54pm (EDT+4) From: > > snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net (Droopy) > >I aassume that BFH is a highly technical term > >that involves a big hammer . Also do the > >replacement parts come with the necessary > >bolts, studs or the like to replace the rivets. I > >was quoted $330 + parts to do this work, > >including alignment -seems a lot for drilling out > >six rivets and bolting in six studs! > >Doug > >

I would use a high speed hnad held grinder or a air powered chisel tool with a properly shaped sharp bit will work nicely too.

Reply to
SnoMan