98 3/4ton van troubles

Hello all I am new to the world of news grps. I have a 1998 Chevy Van thats been having troubles with the front brake pads wearing out in 3000 miles withthe stock pads.

I bought the van new in 99 and the set that was on there at the time lasted

26,000 miles. Then ever since they did my front and rear brakes withthe stock GM lifetime warrenty(on the pads only) pads they where changing them every month becouse they goto metal to metal in that time. I put 3000 miles on a month. They 1st blamed the calipors and put new ones on. Then they blamed the Master Cylender and changed that. Then finaly they went to after market pads and they lasted about 18k-24k miles.

One thing i have noticed the petal is soft ever since the 1st brake job. I was told this is normal. what i mean by soft is when i first ahd the van the brakes engaged within 1" of travel now they dont engaged till at least

6-8";s of travel also the parking break used to only go down 3 or 4 clicks and you couldnt push on it any further now it goes to the floor easly.

They have manuly adjusted the rears but it never seemed to help.

If you all need any other information please ask and I will be happy to give it.

Thank you Ron

Reply to
Billy Bobb

================================= Seems the rears are not tight enough. Do the fronts wear the same on the inner and outer pad?

Reply to
Scott

The inner and outer pad do wear eveninly that we can tell. It does seem like the rears arnt doing their job. I mean right after the brake job is done I can smell the front pads burning.

They also recently changed the auto adjusters in the rear.

Thing that bothers me is the softness in the pedal. *shrugs* all this ABS and other stuff seems to complacte a simple break job. I remember the days you chaanged the worn parts cut the drums/roters and bleed the system and your all set nice hard pedal.

Ron

Reply to
Billy Bobb

Ok new troubles...

My computer which is located under the master cylander is ummm.. well trashed. All the paint has peeled and the case cracked and split open. Has any one seen this before. I had to get a new Computer.

They found it casue iI was getting a EGR valve code. and when they checked the EGR valve it was fine so the looked at the computer and seen what state it was in and replaced it. Odd thing is I wasnt get any check engine lights for a week after new computer was instaled now I am getting the check engin and a seceruty light tighting up. I have yet pulled the codes to see what it is now.

My main concern is the condition the old computer was in. I will get a friend to take some digatal pics and post later.

Ron

Reply to
Billy Bobb