'98 4.3L transplant to '87 Chevy Pick Up?

Hi All,

I have a chance to buy a 4.3L low mileage motor from a 98 chev pick up. It is supposed to be rated at 200 HP and has CPI.

My '87 Chevy Pick Up has a 4.3L engine but it is TBI. I think in '87 the HP was around 150. I would like a few more HP.

Rather than change the wiring harness and computer it has been suggested I put my TBI system on the new engine in effect getting rid of the CPI. I assumed Chevy got the extra HP on the 4.3L by using the CPI.

So... What would I gain in HP using the new engine with my old TBI? Would the intake from my old 4.3L even fit on the '98 block/heads? How many changes did this motor go through over the years? Opinions? Ideas?

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
Slap

Intake ports are different on heads but I believe Elderbrock make a manifold for this conversion. The Vortec engine flows better in heads and cam timing is a bit better but it shoulf work if you get the right manifold for it and use all your TBI hardware. You should pick up 20 or 30 ponies in the process too over a stock TBI motor.

Reply to
SnoMan

The fuel injection system is the major reason for the increase in power. The only gain would be because its a newer engine with less wear on cylinder walls and cam etc. And perhaps smoother running because of the balance shaft I believe this engine has. The manifold will not work from the 87. Edelbrock has a street legal performer manifold the stock throttle body will bolt to on your current set up. Comes with a mail in Post card that will get you at no charge a new chip for the comp. Supposed to give a 6/10 of a second increase in the 10-70 mph acceleration.

Whitelightning