98 6.5TDeisel rough idle and surging

Started to surge and run rough suddenly while going 70MPH (yeah, i was booting it, my bad) and has not been the same since. Parked it on a 30 degree incline and she stalled out after sputtering for 10 mins. Have changed fuel filters and air filters with no luck...truck has 300K kms (160 miles) on it. Get a feeling its the fuel pump or injects? Hope someone can guide me to a less expensive solution as hear the fuelpump is over a thou? TIA

Reply to
Goldman

It sounds like the PMD on your injection pump is going bad. I bought a new one on eBay for $150 vs $325 at GM. I love my 6.5, she'll out pull darn near anything on the road. It's just a pain in the neck keeping the injection system happy.

Curtis

Goldman wrote:

Reply to
CB

Greetings,

I agree that you are looking at a fuel supply problem. Is your Service Engine Soon light on? If so, a code of 1216 typically tells you that you are going to be spending a lot of money on a fuel injection pump very, very soon or risk turning your truck into nothing more than a large lawn ornament because it soon won't run at all. Surging isn't a symptom of bad injectors, if that makes you feel any better. Here are the usual suspects in the order of least to most expensive:

  1. You've already done the filters. That is a good start, but if the problems persist start looking elsewhere. BTW, when you change out the fuel filter, don't forget to drain the fuel-water seperator as well.
  2. Digressing from the fuel issue for a moment, make sure to check for cracked and leaking vac lines and/or a weak vac pump. I've also had a bad EGR valve cause surging at around 50 mph (if your truck has one).
  3. Back to fuel, check the lift pump (transfer pump) that moves fuel from the tank to the fuel injection pump. It is located under the driver's door on the inside of the frame rail where the inline fuel filter would be on a gas truck.
  4. Next would be a failing Fuel Solenoid Driver (FSD, the little black box that controls the FI pump). If this is the culprit and you catch it quick enough you may be able to just replace the FSD by itself, but if you let it go too long it will also fry your optical sensor inside your pump in which case you will need an entirely new FI pump to the tune of around 00.00. I strongly recommend using a device called the FSD Cooler (or similar) when replacing the FSD or the entire pump. Go to this link and read about it as I'm not going to do THAT much typing...

  1. Of course, the last and most expensive is the fuel injection pump. If you've never had it done before you should realize that you are right at about the time for it, although that probably doesn't make you feel any better...

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan