98 S10 advice

Looking at a 98 S10, plain Jane, 4 cylinder, 5 speed. Any thing to look for? The hood release handle is broken, but you can pull the wire with a pliers and get the hood open. Is that a big deal if I fix it while the wire still works? Also, the clutch has no free play. Is this normal with this type of hydraulic clutch?

Al

Reply to
Big Al

you replace the hood release cable as one piece (handle and all) not hard to do and not very expensive.

I dont know if no free play in the pedal is normal or not on that truck but if the clutch isnt slipping and "feels" ok I wouldnt worry about it.

Reply to
ShoeSalesman

yeah, i have a '97 chevy s-10, it was a parts truck and has about 170K miles on it. i thought that the clutch having almost no free play was just wear or something over the years, but we checked it out, its just like that on the trucks ive asked about and mine, now yours.

my hood pop handle's cable is about broken at the hood latch, my only suggestion is to replace the cable like the post before me said, and make sure your latch is lubed well, if its too hard to pull, that may be why it would break =]

and i was wondering if anyone would know how much a shift lever might be. my shift lever was only screwed on half way, i suppose someone was racing my little four cylinder and slammed it into third, breaking it so it give it too much play when shifting... still its an oldie but goodie.

Reply to
zack