98 S10 leak

I have a very small but smelly(gets on exhaust) leak under the unit It is from oil pan or rear of motor Does this pu have a history of rear main oil leak?? 4cyl 2.2 tnx Jim

Reply to
jimnluna

I just finished rebuilding one of those and I don't recall seeing anything on that side of the engine that could spray oil onto the exhaust manifold. About the only way oil could leak onto that exhaust on this engine that I can see is the valve cover gasket or maybe it could be leaking from the oil filler tube if you have some blow-by and a bad gasket on the filler tube cap. If it is leaking oil on the exhaust pipe after the manifold, then I would take a close look at where the filler tube enters the engine block. It basically has a big rubber grommet to seal it to the block when you push it in the hole. Not to hard to replace if you can find the grommet. I have several pictures of the engine out of the vehicle if you want to look at it for yourself. HTH

t_puls

Thanks very much for the information and the pictures Had not seen that side of the thing... :-)

again thanks Jim

Reply to
jimnluna

No, there is no real history of problems with the one piece rear main seals on these engines. Have seen a lot of oil pan gaskets leaking though. I would guess that this is probably where the leak is coming from. Hate to break it to you...if this is a 2WD version, the engine has to come out to replace the oil pan gasket. If it's a 4X4, it's easier, but not much. Good luck

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Reply to
jimnluna

Just in case it is not the oil pan, the dipstick tube just pulls out after you remove the bolt that holds it to the head. IT is kind of hard to see that when the engine is in the vehicle and the starter is installed, but that really is all there is holding it in there. It might be worth just replacing that rubber grommet to eliminate that possibility. I doubt it could cost more than a couple of bucks. Pulling the engine on the other hand, Forget it! Just buy the oil. I would not recommend an engine pull on this vehicle to my worst enemy. I could R&R the engine on my old '72 GMC in an afternoon. This little 4 banger took me several days to complete the same work. What a pain!

Tim

Reply to
t_puls

ok I am thinking on all the replys and do thank everyone for the post....

Reply to
jimnluna