98 Sierra fuel pump

I'll be the first to admit that I'm a total dumbass when it comes to repairs on my 1/2 ton. My truck was not turning over, it was catching good, just no gas getting threw.. simple fix I thought! I take my truck to the garage, Buddy phones me back a few hours later, tells me to sit down.. 1100.00 bucks for a fuel pump, inside the tank! I was freaken speechless.. this was labor included plus all the testing. What do you guys/gals think? am I getting hosed? Alberta, Canada

98 GMC Sierra, standard cab, automatic. 144,000 km's
Reply to
sixx

The hit for the fuel pump on my 97 Yukon was Pump = 525.00 GM Pump Labor = 100.00 (2 hrs @ 50.00/hr) Tax = 50.00 Total = 675.00 USD Not sure of the current exchange rate or taxes but your cost sounds bit high unless they had a lot if incidental work to do. (replace tank straps etc.) Maybe Sheldon Kai or one of the other Canadian wrenches could comment better. I might also add that the tow bill for my Yukon was 543.00 for a 181 mile tow so they might have given me a break. (Shop is owned by a family friend) JR

Reply to
JR

I had a similar experience with my wife's 1998 Jimmy. Fuel sender went out (in-tank type). Dealer wanted $560 for the PARTS ALONE. Well, that idea was out! My parts source wanted $360 for the part also. That idea was out as well.

Believe it or not, I found the exact AC Delco replacement unit from a guy in California on Ebay for $175 shipped!! I did a "buy in now" and had him Fedex me the part. I drained and dropped the tank on the Jimmy, installed the new pump/sender and was back on the road the same day. $175 and my time to do the work (with the wifes help)! If you have some mechanical ability, I would say you could probably DIY if you can get the part at a decent price. Just my opinion. Andy

Reply to
<none>

Update: (kinda) they phoned me up, saying the filter was constricted, I paid

85 bucks, went out to take my truck, thing wouldn't start, same problem. I asked him to try and make this less painful on my wallet, so said he'd look for cheaper. My mechanical ability goes as far as opening the hood. And saying Yep looks good. and that's where the oil goes....right? lol.. so maybe a little more time learning what I drive is in order here.
Reply to
sixx

Cost me $375 to have the fuel pump in my 91 replaced.

Reply to
Ihatespam

Slightly different situation....

GMC Gremlin