'98 Silverado 1500 Fuel Gauge

Fuel guage has recently become eratic. Anyone have any experience wether it'll be the gauge, sender or ground? Is it possible to replace the gauge or is it part of the dash insert? I assume one has to drop the tank to replace the sender, correct? TIA, BF

Reply to
BF

Happy to share what little I know:

1) I'm pretty sure the sender is part of the fuel pump assembly in the tank. Yes, need to either drop the tank or sawzall a hole in the bed over the tank. Yes, I did sawzall my truck, a couple vehicles ago. I'm gauche, but I did get the fuel pump changed.

2) Don't know about the gauge being part of the dash.

3) I've never done this, but it may be possible to reach up over the tank, remove and replace the wiring harness a couple times, in case you have a dirty connection.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Probably the level sender. BUT it is easy to test with a scan tool. Plug in the scan tool and it will tell you the percentage that the sender is reporting. If the reported number doesn't agree with the gauge it's the gauge. If the reported number bounces around with the gauge then it's the sender.

The gauge in the dash is a stepper motor. Yes it is replaceable. But test it first.

The sender is attached to the pump module and can be replaced as a separate part. BUT it isn't a lot cheaper than the entire unit. However it may be that it just need a cleaning. Hard to say.

The easy way to get to the pump is to pull the box bolts and slide it back. That allows access to the top of the tank, pump and wiring without needing to fight with it.

Reply to
Steve W.

I have the same problem with my 98 Dually. How hard is it to remove the bed? Will the bolts come loose? Or do I need to cut and replace them?

My Gauge bounces allot, and tank says I have a quarter tank when I am close to empty.

Reply to
bilz2765

The answer is based on your location, and driving patterns. Western NYS with lots of road salt will be different than Arizona with no salt and no humidity.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yup, But I've found a bit of heat and some blaster and an impact pops most of the rusted ones loose.

You don't have to remove the box, just slide it back or lift the front enough to get to the tank.

Reply to
Steve W.

Thanks Stormin and Steve, I'll have the shop run a scan next oil change. In the mean time, I'll justkeep a check on the trip OD. BF

Reply to
BF

Florida truck. Will try the partial lift method.

Thanks.

Reply to
bilz2765