99 chevy s10 lights flicker at high speed

While on vacation out west, I did manage to get above 70 mph.

1999 S10 pickup, 4 cylinder automatic. 37K miles. No air conditioning at the time.

The headlights, dash lights, all miss a beat. This only happens at or above 70 mph. I can't predict when it will flicker, except that I know it must be 70 or higher. Going up a hill, at lower speed will not put the strain required to flicker the lights. It has to be level ground, above 70. So it doesn't seem to be a WORK load issue. I may also be happening during daytime (s10 headlights are on all the time) But I can't tell due to ambient light.

I can even feel, the tiniest flicker loss of power.

The duration is just a flicker. This will occur during acceleration or at steady speed. (Truck has cruise control). The flicker will occur whether I'm using cruise or not. At first I thought it was my eyes getting tired, but passenger confirmed it.

I've tightened battery clamps, that cable that goes below the battery holder to some electronic device. (don't know what it is) Both positive and negative connections, I even changed the battery thinking it was a bad plate.

Chevy dealer said the charging system was ok. But as expected, they refused to go blasting down the Dan Ryan at night to see if I was crazy or it really was flickering.

So does anyone have a suggestion?

Reply to
FireBrick

It's possible that somewhere in the front end (by this I mean rad support area, headlight brackets, or surrounding area ) the pressure of the air mass rushing in at 70+ mph is causing a wire to rub and momentarily contact metal bracket or frame. It may have been doing this since new, but has taken a while for the wire to wear away the insulation from vibration or movement and cause the flicker. A moving or vibrating connector might do it. Just a guess.

Reply to
Augustus