'99 S-10 fuel gage problem.

The truck: '99 s-10 LS, 4 cyl., 5 spd man. No codes set. The problem: The fuel gage reads high i.e. 1/2 when it should read 0 (found that one out the hard way), but at random times the needle will crash to the bottom of the gage in a second, stay there for a while (varies) and then jump back up to the prior reading. Also even though the gage reads incorrectly, it responds when adding fuel, moving up what seems to be the correct amount relative to fuel added. It also seems to move down correctly while fuel is being used.(barring the crash issue) The questions: Does this sound like a sending unit problem or possibly a wiring issue? Is there any way to diagnose the difference? Ohm out the wires? If so what kind of readings should I expect? If it turns out to be a sending unit, I'll just have to keep using my tripmeter and do the math at fillup. Those suckers cost $535 for the part alone. :) Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Sam.

Reply to
Sam

Sounds like the sender in the tank. Are you sure about the price? Call the dealer and get the part number then check it at gmpartsdirect.com. You can look it up there but their site sucks, its hard to find the part, but it can be done. If you have the number it is a piece of cake. I recently looked up a part there for a piece of molding that cost me $112. I checked the price there at gmpartsdirect.com just for fun and it was about $98. Once I added shipping it was very close to the same price I paid from the dealer. (I do get a very good discount from my local dealer on parts) Anyway check it out and let us know. p.s. I have never ordered anything from them, so your on you own there....

Reply to
Scott M

Did I miss something here? There is something in the gas that makes the sender go goofy?

Reply to
Scott M

Thats what they did and what they claimed. The thing is, the guage seems to be fine now....

Reply to
vb