99 silverado pcm update

anyone heard of this just paid 150.00 at repair shop.

Reply to
tinbashers

Yes I have and will be more common at shops.

Reply to
Wrench-head

"tinbashers" wrote

That sounds a little steep, but yes, software updates are upon us. One of the first things that I do when I encounter a problem that doesn't seem to be addressed by either a code being set, or the diagnostic procedures...is to scan the vehicle and then see if there is an updated software patch available for whatever individual module may be causing the problem. And the newer vehicles have a lot of individual modules. For instance, the Cadillac's have about 17 modules at the moment...and they are only going to become more plentiful.

Personally, I think it's a bit of a rip-off that GM will charge (or the dealer network) for these updates, as you are able to readily get bios updates for your computer motherboard for free. You should be able to do the same with your vehicle, as they didn't get the software code right initially.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Spot on!

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

Hi!

Ya know, I find that kinda funny--that with the inclusion of ROMs or PCMs that offer the ability to allow a ROM flash that we start seeing these problems and code revisions pop up.

I won't say they did not exist, but I have yet to hear of any older PCMs that needed a code update or even had one developed. I guess that when you have only the one shot at getting the code to work and knowing that replacing bad code will be costly (as opposed to a flashable device or upgrade) that a person is more inclined to get it right.

OT Bit: I collect older computers and while I have seen revised ROM chips distributed for some of my older machines that don't have flash ROM, it is interesting to me how the machines that do have flash parts may have quite a few updates available or made necessary because of bugs in the original code.

William The Guesser

--brought to you by BIOS revision 07.20 for the Compaq LTE 5000--

Reply to
William R. Walsh

"William R. Walsh" wrote

William, the older computers had lots of updates, but because of the design of the older computers, the updates were in the form of a removable PROM. In other words, there was a Prom that was physically removed and replaced in the older computers when you had to perform software updates. Believe me, there were plenty.

It's so much easier now. You hook the scan tool up to the vehicle, request information. Then hook up the scan tool to the computer and see what's available for that VIN number. You can only update one module at a time, so we generally only update the module that we happen to be troubleshooting. If I ever have a car that's new enough, I'll probably just go through it once a year and update all the modules as needed.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

With a Ford the entire PCM had to be replaced.

Reply to
Bob

Billy,

You keep talking about how you like older puters. I have some older machines in-house and I deal with older machines for work, as well as the memory for them. pde underscore on underscore on ebay at comcast dot net if you need anything.

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

Hi!

It's William. Please and thank you. :-) Although I don't mind Bill that much I may not respond to it!

Thanks KJ! I'll keep you in mind if I find myself needing anything. Right now much as I hate to admit it I need to get rid of some things. No complete or functional systems, just some junk and parts. It would be nice to see the floor again while I'm rewiring the whole confuser lab here in my basement.

I'm especially interested if you ever see an IBM PS/2 9585-xNx or xKx model. All the 85s are rare birds--I'm lucky to have my 0XF.

By the way, got a question for ya...a while back you posted some pictures of your Blazer. I happened to look at the radio and thought it looked a bit out of place...like a Cadillac radio? Is it a Caddy radio?

The Unexpected Bill (!)

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Dunno if it's a caddy radio. My company buys stuff too. Super old stuff I probably can't get you too much for, but I can get you something. You have a lab too? I remember my lab days, still have it but it's piled in chit! Do you have any switch/wire/component/etc needs? Just got in some premium junk (pieces of machines that are used to place the dies in chips) and were looking to move it off to nice homes. Wire, fiber optics, solid state relays, pneumatic valves, gauges, filters, electronic switches, tubes, drive belts, wheels, gears, motors, tubes, video monitors, controls......bout 2mil worth of stuff. Like I said drop me a line if your interested...

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ