99 Suburban 5.7L timing chain cover oil leak?

Hi, A few months ago I changed the timing cover and oil pan gasket because of a small leak. I just noticed a lager amount of oil is leaking and it seems to be the front seal of the timing cover. Oil is being flung onto the front of the engine by the Vibration damper. I suspect it is the new cover seal. The cover had a 3 month warranty and so I can't get my money back. Just over. My question is this, I put in a one piece pan gasket a Felpro before so do I need to loosen the pan to get the old and new timing cover back in? The one piece gasket requires no RTV so I think this might be a possibility. Should I buy a GM timing cover this time or does any one know of a good quality aftermarket one?

Thanks.

Reply to
joe.goodart

You have to drop the pan. If the gasket is new, and not glued on you can usually just loosen the rear bolts and remove the fronts and drop the pan enough. Don't even need to drain the oil. When you change the seal or replace the cover, make sure the seal is centered when you start to install the harmonic balancer. If the seal is not centered, it will leak.

You can buy a two piece timing chain cover that will allow you to remove the cover without dropping the pan. Most speed shops have them on the shelf.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

What kind of shape is the seal surface on the balancer in? If it is worn enough it can leak. I usually install a speedy sleeve and then center the cover with the balancer on THEN tighten the cover bolts.

Reply to
Steve W.

Thanks Steve I did do it again put new cover on but did not center it so it leaked again this time badly. I like the Idea of 2 piece design but too late. The book did not say to center the cover. Just install it. I took it in they fixed yesterday.about $600 mostly labor, Thanks, Joe

Reply to
joe.goodart