'99 Yukon Brakes

First off, I know that the '99 Yukon does not have the greatest brakes to begin with. However, on my particular Yukon, when I press the brake pedal I get a "squish" noise and the pedal feel is spongy. I recently bled the brakes with a pressure bleeder and the pedal feel improved for a few days. No noise and a somewhat firmer pedal. Now it's back to the way it was before. I bought this vehicle used so I don't know if the brakes were always like this. I noticed some small air bubbles while bleeding and I ran about a quart of fluid through the system, so I think I did a thorough job. I can't think of any way air could get back into the system other than if it was worked on, which it hasn't been.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
WaterWatcher

Try adjusting up the rears and look for leaks while you are under there.

Reply to
Shoe Salesman

I second adjusting the rears, my '99 K1500 will get that way if I don't hit the brakes real good a few times backing out of the driveway, gives the self adjusters a good turn.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

When I drove it today there was no "squish" noise and the pedal seemed firmer again. Perhaps it is just the self adjusters not taking up the slack sometimes. When I back out of my driveway I back up a hill so there isn't much braking involved in reverse. Seems I read somewhere that you need to back up fast and hit the brakes hard several times for the self adjusters to work properly. I usually back up slow anyway due to having "limo" tint on my rear windows, which inhibits visibility.

Reply to
WaterWatcher

Go to an empty mall parking lot to "adjust" the brakes.

Reply to
Mike Copeland