A/C leak

1995 Chevy K1500 W/T V8. Replaced everything on truck a/c except evaporator. Worked fine. After winter the a/c wouldn't come on. Pressure on low side was 10 lbs. Checked every conection in engine compartment and didn't find any oil anywhere. Am I safe to assume it's the evaporator? This thing held a vacuum for most of the day when I put it together and that's why I didn't change out the evaporator- everything else leaked.
Reply to
Ringer

Yes. Sounds reasonable.

(Of course, you didn't ask for advice, just an opinion.)

.

1995 Chevy K1500 W/T V8. Replaced everything on truck a/c except evaporator. Worked fine. After winter the a/c wouldn't come on. Pressure on low side was 10 lbs. Checked every conection in engine compartment and didn't find any oil anywhere. Am I safe to assume it's the evaporator? This thing held a vacuum for most of the day when I put it together and that's why I didn't change out the evaporator- everything else leaked.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I made the same diagnosis you have with my old Pontiac. Turned out it was the front seal on the compressor. Compressor had been rebuilt and had less then 3000 miles on it. I didn't think I was seeing oil either until it really started leaking, then it was literally dripping off it.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

My compressor has about 100 miles on it. I sure hope that's not it. I'm going to put some more freon in it with some leak dye. If I don't see anything upfront I'll take the cab apart and look at the evaporator.

Reply to
Ringer

That's what I would want to try before having anything to do with replacing an evaporator!

I had one car where the service manual said for removing this to...

  1. Remove steering column.
  2. Remove dashboard.

(I don't know about what needs to be removed on your vehicle, but probably not fun.)

Reply to
Bill

I had a 64 T-bird. Almost every repair procedure started with

  1. Remove Front Seat .. even replacing the windshield required a partial tear down of the interior.
Reply to
Ashton Crusher