A/C Odor in 1995, C2500

I bought a 1995 C2500 badly damaged bed to make a flat bed delivery truck. Since a/c weather, I notice a slight odor like cat urine while running the a/c. Any ideas?

I have also noticed that even with the blower in high, and blowing very hard, most of the a\c comes out the floor outlet on the passenger side, and enough out the defrost vents to cause condensation on the windshield after a half hour or so. I don't recall any issues with the heat last winter.

Any similar experiences helpful.

Reply to
Tim

You may have 2 problems.

  1. A possible leaking heater core.

  1. A non-functioning damper/door actuator which is an electric gizmo that causes a little door to move and direct the air to where it should go.

For 1., get some engine coolant and cook it outside maybe in an empty tin can. See if the steam coming off of this has the same odor as that in your truck.

Reply to
Bill

Thanks for the tips Bill.

I know what antifreeze or coolant smells like, and that's not it. But I will open the radiator cap while it is cold an compare just in case it happens to be contaminated and has a similar odor.

As for the actuator, should it be accessible without dropping the heater box? I will get my snake light go under the dash and have a look.

Reply to
Tim