acetone in the gasoline

I tried the acetone bit, but couldn't tell any difference in the mileage. Got a quart of acetone from the paint section of a department store. Anyone actually tried this, and is there more to know?

Christopher A. Young

How to double your gas mileage

Stormin Mormon

I have been lurking in this forum for a while now and seen all kinds of snake oils, acetone in the gasoline is one of them, the only way to get better mileage is to make sure you have a good tune up, proper air pressure, clean feul systems, and stay out of the gas pedal.

Reply to
mudmonkey

that is such a crock of shit. Just like other snake oils and magnets. If it worked so good, then the car manufacturers would be recommending it. Also, if it worked so good, everyone would be doing it and acetone would go up to $500 an ounce.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Quite true and then there is the price of it too even if it did help. Given its possible effect on rubber hoses i would not even try. Good tune, properly inflated tires, clean lube abd drive style play a big roll here as does fuel octane in newer motors. Many new motor are "smart" in that they retard spark before you hear knock and remember it and this takes from performance and MPG. If you want to try a better fuel, try at least 89 for a few tanks and you will likley see a MPG increase that will more than ofset higher fuel cost at todays prices. Sometimes your engine will learn new fuel quicker if you puill fuse for ECM and wait several minuts and then reinstall it and let it learn the proper curves for new fuel.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Hi!

Ouch. I'm not sure that's a good idea at all. Acetone is nasty stuff and probably not good for hoses, fuel pumps, and other plastic parts in the fuel system.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

I dont know about that, i have been running "High performance" mothballs in my tank for years.......

(just kidding)

Reply to
Bob's Backfire Burrito

Mothballs have naptha in them and they can raise fuel octane a bit.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

This is an interesting proposition. Given that the price of premium is pretty consistently higher than regular by about $0.20 around here and with $3.00/gal for regular that works out to about 6-7% higher cost per gallon (3-4% higher for 89 octane). If the engine could adjust to effectively use the higher octane, would it improve the fuel economy enough to offset the price? Also, would the engine only realize that gain during WOT, or close to it, conditions?

Reply to
Ed H.

Reply to
Frank

messagenews:YHJ%h.16949$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr29.news.prodigy.net...

Myth Busters sucks, too. They are the same ones that say that sugar in gasoline does not have an affect. Any one else ever come across a vehicle that won't start, no fuel pump running and injectors stuck shut - only to hear the insurance adjuster say "sugar doesn't dissolve in the gasoline, so it can't be the cause..." ?

Reply to
GeneDom