Add rear gas tank??

I have a 1998 k3500, 7.4L Standard tranny. I has an 11' utility body,

84" cab to axle, standard cab. It only has one front tank. I only go less than 150 miles and need to gas up. I can see behind the rear axle where there's a spot to install a rear tank. What's involved with plumbing it in I'm used to having fords with a switch in the dash, a buddy tells me Chevy's aren't like that, he says the tanks drain down at the same time.

Thanks...Alan

Reply to
Alan

I not sure what size tank you have but you do have a couple of options. First get a tune up. You are getting real poor fuel economy. If you have to fuel up every 150 miles and you have a 25 gallon fuel tank you are getting 6 miles to the gallon. If you have a 34 gallon tank then you are

4.4 miles to the gallon. Second, if the fuel tank is to small you may want to purchase a larger fuel tank for that truck. Search for replacement fuel tanks or auxiliary tanks on the internet. Third, another option is to mount a tank in the bed of the truck.

Sarge

Reply to
Sarge

"Alan40" wrote: > I have a 1998 k3500, 7.4L Standard tranny. I has an 11' > utility body, > 84" cab to axle, standard cab. It only has one front tank. I > only go less > than 150 miles and need to gas up. I can see behind the rear > axle where > there's a spot to install a rear tank. What's involved with > plumbing it in > I'm used to having fords with a switch in the dash, a > buddy tells me > Chevy's aren't like that, he says the tanks drain down at the > same time. > > Thanks...Alan > > > -- >

> Maples Construction LLC, Complete Site Work, Road > Construction, > Sewer and water, Ledge Removal, From Trees to Pavement > Mass and RI.

The factory setup on Silverado truck plumbs rear tank into front one but there are after market solutions that can be manually switched. You should be able to find something in after market. What are you haulling that you are going through so much gas? Maybe you need to do a little tweaking of engine to to extend range and increase power as well.

Reply to
SnoMan

I think it is a 25 gallons tank, It's a bucket truck that is also heavily loaded down, 11' utility body with lots of tools for repairing heavy equipment. What do you think the mileage should be? I will give it a tune up though.

Thanks...Alan

Reply to
Alan

I wonder how the hypertech programmer would do for mileage and power, it seems to run great and have good power though.

Thanks...Alan

Reply to
Alan

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 11:04:08 -0500, "Sarge" wrote: Snip

I was searching around for an aux. gas tank some time ago and found out that the ones that mount above frame in the bed are for diesel only. Not sure, but I would guess there are some safety issues/ laws about mounting gas tanks in the bed. Aux. gas tanks are available that mount under the bed though, and are kinda pricey. MR

Reply to
MR

You could probaly get one cheap on Ebay for that year truck and you should get about 10mpg or 11mpg give or take (hiway or city) and 200 miles or so should not be a problem with stock tank as I have driven

454 power 14K lb motor homes that got 9 to 11 mpg on the hiway depending on speed.
Reply to
SnoMan

Hi!

The ones I'm familiar with most certainly *are*. I have an '84 GMC Sierra (with a 6.2 Diesel) and factory installed dual tanks. There is a switch in the dash to select which tank I want to operate from. Gasoline trucks of similar vintage have this too.

I would have to think that more modern trucks also have this switch if they come from the factory with dual tanks installed. Obviously, if you add a tank yourself, letting the truck drain on and then the other is probably the "easiest" way to install your second tank. It would probably be much more involved to have the ability to truly select dual tanks. You'll need the wiring, a switch, the switching mechanism and maybe some fuel line too. Other than that I don't know too much about it. I've never tried to install an aftermarket tank...

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh