Adding 2-stroke oil to gas in Chevy truck?

I know a guy who has always squirted a shot of 2-stroke oil into the gas tank of his Chevy truck at every fill up. He says this makes engines last longer. He has had only 2 old trucks in the last 30 years or so and the one he drives now is a 1976 with over

200,000 miles that looks like a POS but seems to run fine.

So many other people do this? Do you think this is a good idea to start doing? I have a 1996 Chevy S-10 truck.

Reply to
Fred Fartalot

Upper cylinder lubrication...

Reply to
Franko

Don't bother doing this to a vehicle with EFI.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

Have heard of people doing this but its really hard to quantify long term benefits. Some people use STP every tank which I have read and believe is absolutely nothing but a big waste of $$$.

Reply to
Rufus McPiddlegump

Nope, bad idea. Fouls plugs but will also carbon up valves seats and guides, makes engine less efficient so it has to work harder, runs hotter, wears out quicker. Yes, oil is a good lubricant but long term carbon build up is not. Loose carbon circulating around in engine will plug small oil channels and bearing surfaces and lessen oil flow through the engine where it needs to get to causing more friction and shorter life of engine. Don't do this.

Reply to
Bud Lite

Years ago Marvel used to sell a set up called an inverse oiler to provide upper cylinder lubricant. It consisted of a 1 quart bottle with a mounting bracket, special lid with a tube went to the bottom, an length of vacuum hose and a small orifice that went in the hose. The line was hooked to manifold vacuum if I remember correctly, a quart would last about a week (remember this was back when 10 mpg was considered good). I agree with Brian about not adding oil to the gas tank on a fuel injected engine, I don't think the fuel regulators, fuel pump, or injectors would take kindly to it.

How about that a quick search turns up these things are still available and have been "modernized" to allow adjusting how much oil gets pulled into the engine. seems they are popular with the rv crowd, and those weirdos who for some reason still think VW was great.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

My 93 silverado /w a 350 has just over 360,000 km on it ( 223,000+ miles ) and the only thing that has ever gone into it is 91 octane fuel

----------------------------------------------------- users trucks from this group listed below

Michael McNeil

Catalytic converters can be damaged by excessive oil consumption.

Reply to
DonW

Maybe a good idea for thost very old motors with carbs and without electronics or catalytic converters.

Bad idea for any fuel injected vehicle with electronic sensors (especially an oxygen sensor), an EGR valve and a catalytic converter.

You just can't compare the two. It's like saying "I have a friend with a very old truck that still uses leaded gasoline and it runs fine. Should I use leaded gasoline in my new truck also?"

Look at it this way, your friend has a truck that is 29 years old and has only 200,000 miles on it - an average of less than 7000 miles per year. That is less than half the average annual mileage of 15,000 miles per year. I put on close to 200,000 miles on my vehicles before I sell them and it only takes 8-9 years to do it and I've never had the problems or needed whatever benefits a squirt of 2-stroke oil is supposed to provide.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Race