Adyusting hydraulic valves????

1989 chevy 2500, 350 V8 Replaced head gaskets, need to adjust the hydraulic valves The books say to set piston at TDC, tighten valves till you can't turn the push rod. Then the books differ: One says to go an additional ½ turn. Another says to go an additional ¾ turn. Next book says to go one more full turn. It seems to me that a ½ turn would be correct, but I don't want to have to do this again if the motor does not run right. Anyone know for sure? Thanks, Chief
Reply to
Chief McGee

Its one hel-of-a-mess, but I always did mine while the engine is running. Initial adjustment after they are tight, warm the engine, remove the valve cover, back off the nut until you hear a "clacking" tightning the nut until just quiet and then 1/2 turn further. YMMV

Reply to
Meeber's

I always used 1/2 turn after the pushrod gets hard to turn. Yu can go 3/4 like the book says but I would rather run loose then have a valve not quite going closed and burn it.

Doug

Reply to
Doug Adams

Best way to do it.

To help deal with the mess, I used to get an old valve cover and cut out where needed to get at the rocker nuts. Made it much cleaner!

Reply to
Commentator

Make sure you understand what they mean by the push rod not turning. They mean that all the excess play is out and you can't rattle it around in the seat or rocker and that the rocker is seated. They don't mean that you cannot turn the push rod at all. A better way to adjust them on the older engines is to use a primer and turn the oil pump so that they are filled with oil. Then with the engine ready to go start it with the valve covers off. back off the rocker nut until you can hear it tick then tighten down till the tick stops. Now go one full turn.

Steve W.

Reply to
Steve W.

do it like the book says, TDC with the *valves closed* on the cyl your adjusting, just go a half and you will be good. You can do it running but its a mess and not really needed.

Reply to
ScottM

I've done it running on an older 350 and it really wasn't that messy with the proper placement of rags.

Reply to
Meat Plow