Alternator problems

Hi. I have a 1999 Tahoe and haven't even made the first payment. I just had to put on an alternator which the previous owner had JUST replaced.

I have a friend that has a 1997 Tahoe and he says he has to KEEP an alternator with him at all times. He says he replaces his about every 6 months. Geez!

What gives?

Does anyone have this problem or know of what could be causing this?

Thanks, MDP

Reply to
MD Phillips

Motorbret

the CS-130 unit is a piece of crap

see above

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

like Bret kinda said, make damn sure the battery is good. An alternator trying to charge a bad battery will cook itself. Also, it would be a good idea to check for a voltage draw when the truck is off. A draw will take the battery down, even though it will still start. Then the alt has to try to keep up with all the accessories and the low battery, thus cooking itself.

Reply to
Scott M

Brand new Interstate battery bought in July of '03. I did check the old alternator and it was not charging. I have not checked the cables.

I hope the AC/Delco alternator that I have coming solves my problem.

Thanx for your help!

Reply to
D Phillips

And the CS-130 unit would be what, exactly???

Reply to
D Phillips

OK. My buddy has a scanner. I'll get him to see if there is anything electrical going on. The alternator was replaced June was a year ago. It wasn't an AC/Delco. It was Delphi or something. The parts house didn't have an AC/Delco in stock so I had to get a cheap one. He is ordering one for me and I'm going to swap it out and pay the difference. I think the extra $$ is worth it when it comes to electrical parts.

Thanx for your help!!

Reply to
D Phillips

the model of the alternator

it replaced the old 10-SI and 12-SI units

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

I have a CS-130 unit on my 1990 Suburban. I went through two aftermarket units in about a year before I ordered an AC Delco alternator - that was three years ago and I've had no problems since. The CS-130 has a problem with heat build-up and also, the rear bearing is too small. All of my alternator failures were actualy rear bearing failures. Is it possible that AC Delco, during the rebuild process, is modifying the CS-130 alternator to correct the problems?

Reply to
Rich B

Another thing you can do is get one with a lifetime warranty. Saved me a few hundred $ over the years.

Reply to
Scott M