Another 700R4 thread!

Happy New Year people.

I have an 88 G20 with the 700R4. Had a rebuild done about 15000 miles ago with the vette servo and 9 clutch pack. No shift kit or anything other than stock parts other than listed above. 1-2 2-3 shift is great, not too hard but rather quick, I really like it. The problem seems to be the 3-4 shift. No slipping at all, just seems to be a lazy shift. Very long especially compared to the other gears. My question, is this normal with a mostly stock setup? I remember seeing a website somewhere that mentioned a washer on the 4th gear servo not allowing the servo to press on the band all the way. Sound like a possible cause? Again, there is no slipping what so ever, just a lazy shift. I worry about the life of the

3-4 clutches as it is a slide shift. Maybe something with the 9 clutch (I think it was 9) pack? Any suggestions are appreciated. I am fascinated with automatic transmissions and would love to learn as much as possible about them. Amazing getting 5 (count reverse) different gears and being strong enough to do what it does in such a small space. Anyone know of technical sites related to the auto, especially the 700 please post.

Thanks for any suggestions. I look forward to this discussion.

Reply to
blichty

Best way to learn Automatic transmissions is a factory serivce manuial, some cores for a junk yard, and getting the tools. Take them apart and learn your seld how to rebuild them.

As for the your late 4th gear engagement, have you adjusted the Throttle Value Cable? Is the Cable Streched? Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

check this site out for some info. When your servo's were changed the clearance between the servo pin and the band should be checked. If it's too loose you can get an aftermarket longer pin that you adjust by grinding the tip for desired clearance. Too loose and it could cause a delayed shift which would be felt as slippage. I'd also recommend a good shift kit, the rv type not the street/strip version. Russ

Reply to
rustynutgarage