Another AC Question

Am planning to use my work truck for trailer pulling duty and the wife wants A.C. Restored 1969 GMC, 350 engine. It came with an after-market system with a Tecumseh HG-850 compressor mounted on the right side. I've been told by every parts or service source so far that this unit is obsolete and I can't get a rebuilt or even new seals for it.They all tell me it should have had an "A-6" unit (Harrison?) but the problem is I can't find a bracket at the junk yard for the right side for this A-6. Is there a reasonable solution to this or am I just S.O.L?

Reply to
Brian Orion

Find a bracket for the left side, he he he.

Heads and blocks have been tapped the same way for years and years. You might find a complete bracket system off a 70's truck and just switch the whole accessory system over. Worst case scenario you need to tap a few extra holes in the top of the intake.

Hell, a serpentine setup off an 88'-95' would be really nice.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Thanks Doc,I'll check it out. 72.5 degrees and the old hag is all hot.

Reply to
Brian Orion

make that a 90-95.... those early ones (that we both have) can get awful growly when the AC is on. my dad's 90 305 has a completely different serp setup than my '88 350.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Do you have access to TSB's Bret? If so check out #88-T-56-(11/16/1987). It was only the first few that came off the line (mine was one of them) that didn't have the "pencil brackets" as OE that were added to reduce the "serpentine resonance."

Mine sounds like an angry dog with the A/C running. The fix is P/N 10085730 for the 5.0's and 5.7's. I haven't been able to find any.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

no, I don't have acess to them ( don't see the need to pay aldata for them when I might need them once a year). I've got several pencil brackets on mine... the one bracing the tensioner even pulled the stud out of the intake manifold (which also bolts down the water neck.... grrr).

mine was loud as hell when the AC worked. I need to get the AC up and running before I head back south.....

why don't you try making some? it seems to me that the ones I have could be fabricated in about an hour from a couple pieces of 3/8 rod, a grinder and a torch.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase