antifreeze link in cab '85 K5

Passenger side, just under the dash. Too dark and cold to look right now. Best guess as to what it is, how long to fix it, and cost?

1985 K5 305CUI ~KJ~
Reply to
KJ

I am thinking heater core.

Reply to
azwiley1

When your cab starts to fog-up and takes on a new sweet smell, you know it's your heater core.

Ladude

1985 K5 305CUI ~KJ~
Reply to
LaDude

Okay so 3 people have told me what it is. How about 9 people answering;

how long to fix it, and cost?

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

Well, I live in Arizona, you want what it would cost me to buy the part here?

Reply to
azwiley1

Probably about the best you could give me :-) Really more interested in TIME. Southern NH here.

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

Go to

or
and price the part yourself. Should be in the neighborhood of $60. It's the hearter core, it's not too bad to get out. Might take 3 hours tops.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Whoa Doc.....try more like $20......

As to install it....remove dash cover, glove box, nuts from engine side of exchange box, heater hoses, control cable from a/c switch, vacuum hoses (make sure to tag them or somehow remember where they go), and screw the box from under the dash. It helps to have the passenger side floorboard cleaned of trash, and if you can unbolt the seat, you'll have a place to lay to keep the wind off ya (since you got a blazer, you can stretch your legs into the back seat area)....

Once you got the box outta the rig, take it apart. it's pretty self-explanitory, and you can take it inside to do this (to keep the frostbite to a min.). Be sure to remember what screws and clips come from where - if you have digital cam or polaroid, use it. Find the heater core, and swap it out for the one you just got. Then you get to put it back together. :-D

If you have any questions, just ask.....i'll be 'round to answer 'em....

JC

Reply to
JC

` Why don't you just replace it and then report back on how much the core cost you and how many hours it took for you to complete the job? You do plan on repairing it yourself don't you? Bob

Reply to
Bob

Ok I will answer his time question. With A/C is 2.8 hours, without A/C is

1.8 hours of labor.
Reply to
Wrench-head

Had an 88 and the duct work looks exactly like my 99. If it was similar in

85 I pryed the duct work opened and ripped out the heater core instead of taking everything out that was suggested, came out of it with scratched up hands and an extra few hours.
Reply to
Corey Scheich

Just thought I'd start a troll... lol. I can't believe the response I am getting here!

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ

Not if he has A/C it wont.

Reply to
Kelly

1988 model had a different heater box then 85
Reply to
Kelly

For a professional maybe. For a shadetree ???

Triple that time easy.

Reply to
Kelly

quadruple. Shadetree, winter, dirt driveway, and someone just starting his tool collection...

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ