Any 2005 Uplander ouwners out there?

I just bought a 2005 Chevy Uplander and am having a problem. I am looking for other owners to see if they are having a similar problem. When you put the vehicle in park I don't feel that it locks in place like other vehicles I have owned. If there is any small incline either way the vehicle will roll enough to hit cars or interfere with garage door openers and such. If the vehicle is parked and you go to the rear and push on the body, the vehicle will roll about 5"-6". IS this normal? I have brought this to the attention of GM and basically they said its normal.

I have owned many vehicles but have never had a case where the tires would roll like this when parked, I am used to body roll.

If you own a 2005 uplander I would be interested to hear if yours performs like this also..

Reply to
DM

I have driven many GM vehicles that do this. Probably normal for the Uplander. I'm sure there are other manufacturers who's vehicles do this too but I've only noticed it in GM vehicles. Try setting the parking brake also.

Bob

Reply to
Bob M

It has never stopped amazing me the number of people who trust "park" to hold their autos. If they could see what is in a tranny to hold it in park it would make them soil their pants. Original automatics didn't have park, you put them in Neutral and set the parking brake. Too many people so used to manual trannys, shut off in gear and then start., surge, hit what ever is in front or back. So park was the solution to stop the fender benders as neutral safety switches hadn't been designed yet. Yet every single automobile manual still states the same thing, put the tranny in park, set the parking brake, shut off engine. On hills turn the wheels so that the vehicle rolls to the curb not into the road if something does go wrong. How many do that?

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

"Whitelightning" wrote in news:VbtGe.505$Tk6.228@trnddc02:

Being anal I have read the owners manual for my Tahoe and the only situation listed for using the parking brake is when you want to prevent torque lock when parking on an incline.

I've never used the parking brake: not once.

Adam

Reply to
Adam Leinss

Following suit here is the contents verbatim from a warning in a box with a big Yellow banner in my 2003 owners manual page 2-27

"It can be dangerous to get out of your vehicle if the shift lever is not fully in PARK (P) with the parking brake firmly set. Your vehicle can roll. If you have left the engine running, the vehicle can move suddenly. You or others could be injured. To be sure your vehicle wont move, even if you are on fairly level ground, use the steps that follow."

Under the box the above was in :

  1. Hold the brake pedal down and set the parking brake.
  2. Move the shift lever into the PARK (P) position like this Hold the button on the shift lever Push the lever all the way toward the front of your vehicle
  3. turn the ignition to LOCK
  4. Remove the key and take it with you.

Following that is another warning box about the dangers of leaving the vehicle with the engine running, and on the very next page 2-28, the info about torque lock.

There is similar wording in the manual for both my 91 Chevy, and my 87 Chevy. The wording in the manual for my 75 Chevy is much less legal-eaze. It simply says, apply parking brake, place transmission in park if automatic, reverse if standard.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning