Are full-size trucks bought for utility or ego?

The subject line is phrased as a question, but a study of American streets shows the answer.

At least half of people driving full-size trucks (and SUVs) could live with something more efficient. Probably 2/3rds of them could. Large trucks are too clean and too empty too much of the time. Too many of them are dressed up or lowered down and rendered impractical for real hauling.

It's easy to spot an actual work truck vs. a fragile-ego-booster. "Get out of my way, I've got more mass than you!" "Look at my bad-ass grille looming in your mirror!" We've all seen these pinheads.

American trucks have been full-size for decades, which is no crime IF they are used to capacity, not as displays of resource gluttony. The

2007, whale-like Toyota Tundra and newer Tacomas are disappointing. I see little evidence that the new Tundras, especially double-cab short bed, are used much beyond an ego-trip. Toyota could have kept them at their relatively compact size but they bowed to the drill here, drill now, anti-conservation crowd, who think any vehicle < 250HP makes you a wimp.

What compels people to occupy as much space as possible on the road? Are obese women more desirable than slim ones? Think about that for awhile. If there was the same stigma against being seen with a fat truck as a......

FYI, the reason fuel prices have dropped recently is due to supply and demand, not a miraculous resurgence in the amount of global oil. People really started conserving this summer after the futures spike, and the credit-default-swap mess has kept them cautious. Oil itself is as finite as ever; more so every second. It's unclear when the price will push $4/gallon again, but it will, and it will keep rising as global production peaks.

The argument that you have a "right" to waste as much oil as you want, and deny all evidence for AGW, is also bogus. With the global population growing by 77 million annually, and the world not getting any bigger, everyone should stop being a glutton.

E.A.

Old conservative adage: waste not, want not. New conservative adage: waste a lot, want more.

Reply to
Enough Already

And so?

Some people waste money on booze; some on cocaine, some on heroin; some on porno; and some on tobacco and loose women. Also some waste money on gasoline and maintenance for a big SUV when all they need is a bicycle.

The point being that they are paying for the stuff. You are not being asked to finance their vice; they get to pay more for vehicle registration, tires and a new vehicle when they put down the dollars to buy the thing.

I personally don't get it either but I also know that you cannot legislate brains nor do you have any particular right to force others to live by your standards or beliefs. I used to have a little Escort wannabe in the early 1980s; when I moved up to an Explorer in the early

1990s I noticed that the 250 mile trips I made regularly seemed to shrink by about 1/3, due to the superior ride and comfort of the vehicle. Mind you the big SUVs we have now are a lot bigger than that dinky little Explorer, but still the point is there. And I think someone in an Explorer is a lot smarter than someone in a Smart Car - I'd think their legs could be broken if they hit a horsefly at highway speeds. I sat through a safety film a decade ago or so which stated that cars are actually engineered to give the guy making the payments room to live in case of an accident. Now I know that you don't need a Hummer for this but you also ain't gonna get it with a Smart Car either.

Obviously most people live where they could utilize some form of public transportation for part of their traveling - but if they choose instead to fight traffic; fight for parking spaces and pay all the associated costs to operate a vehicle, why not? After all it is watching these folks that convince most of the remainder to use some form of public transportation, I think.

How do I put out an appeal for tolerance of those who are not just like you in deed and belief?

Or what?

H.

Reply to
Rowbotth

My limited experience is that "most" is not accurate at all. "Some," is accurate, but I would suggest that "most" is a stretch.

In my little valley, there are 250,000 inhabitants. There is virtually no public transportation to speak of. There is very limited bus service, and even less taxi service. We have to drive 40 miles to the train station, there are three trains outbound in the morning and three inbound in the evening, and the schedule at each end of the line does not align very well with the workday.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Agreed. I live just outside DC - nearly walking distance from a Metro station - and there STILL is no public transportation that will take me to my office (near Dulles Airport) Now the girlie does work in DC and does take the Metro every day, but she is always complaining about it... I would bet that if there were affordable parking near her workplace she'd be driving. Even with traffic as bad as it is, it'd be faster than Metro, and more reliable...

but in any case I agree with Jeff, I would say that the vast majority of people HAVE to provide their own transportation to work, be it driving, cycling, walking, whatever because they don't have public transportation options.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Midgrade. Whatever was around from south of the border... Haven't played with that in ~30 years.

"Dulls the hatred".

Reply to
scrape