ARRRRRGGG?!@#$ I'm about ready to give up on GM Trucks

Don't get me wrong, I ove 'em, but I have lusted after a Duramax for a few years now. I'm now ready to order mine, and I just found out that you can no longer get it with a manual transmission. KenG

Reply to
KENG

Bummer!

How about 1 ton or larger?

Reply to
nonsense

on Monday 03 September 2007 05:00 pm, someone posing as KENG took a rock and etched into the cave:

if you really feel the need to shift, you can certainly shift from first to second to drive all you want.

Reply to
PerfectReign

Don't presume to tell me what MY desires are! I am the utmost authority on what I want. I want what I want, and that's what I want, and what I want is a fully manual transmission, with a fully manual clutch. I know exactly what rpm the motor is turning no matter how hard I press on the accelerator. I also know what gear it is in, because THAT'S WHERE I PUT IT. It puts me more in tune with my vehicle, It's a zen kinda thing, I don't expect anyone to understand it, but it is what it is. I would prefer it to be GM, but if not so be it.

KenG

Reply to
KENG

Once upon a time I felt the same way - but then I sprained my ankle and couldn't drive my old truck because it had a stick and was stranded for two weeks. That was many years and a few trucks ago.

On the other hand, if you want to know exactly where/what gear you put it in, etc. as you state, the new Allison trannies have a manual feature (I don't know what it's called) that lets you shift the gears by flipping a rocker switch up or down on the shifter. Sure there's no clutch pedal, but when in this mode the tranny is locked into each gear until you decide to shift it. This is a good comprimise between having all the benefits of the Allison 6-speed and a manual tranny without having to use a clutch. Plus you can use it in fully auto mode if you're feeling lazy (or the wife wants to drive it) and not have to worry about wearing out the clutch, but the down side is obviously that it's more expensive to purchase.

Look into it on the Chevy website and take a test drive - you just might like this new feature.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Sorry Jonathan, it's just not the same, besides the wife likes manuals also, and can handle one quite well. KenG

Reply to
KENG

on Tuesday 04 September 2007 01:36 pm, someone posing as KENG took a rock and etched into the cave:

I'm just sayin'....

...seriously, my father-in-law feels the same way you do. After not being able to find a GM SUV with a manual tranny, he bought a Jeep liberty a few years back.

He loves it. Of course, none of us can stand the whiplash from the shifting, but he loves it.

Reply to
PerfectReign

You're supposed to have the headrest up in the correct position. Lean back into it and you'll experience no whiplash.

Reply to
nonsense

Hi!

Why in the world not? (Yeah, I realize that only GM can probably answer that one. Still, it does seem like a silly decision. Lots of trucks need to be equipped that way for good reasons...)

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh