Astro serpentine belt tensioner

I need to replace the serpentine belt tensioner on my '87 Astro. It's attached to a bracket with a single 18mm bolt--anyone know what this should be torqued at?

Reply to
Bob Willingham

Serpentine belt should be spring loaded. No torque, just turn to release pressure and remove or replace the belt.

Reply to
F.H.

Oops! Misread. You're replacing the tensioner not the belt. If you mean the pulley where the bearing center is receiving all the torque I would go easy. Just snug, perhaps with a dab of Loctite.

Reply to
F.H.

I wouldnt go more than 20 ft lbs if the bracket is aluminum, Loctite 242 on the threads.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

I'm not sure there is a spec, though probably is. About 50 ft pounds should do it. Use a bit of grease or never seeze, in case you have to change it out again.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon