auto trans additives

I have a 2000 2wd Silverado 4.8 V8 with an auto transmission. It has 85000 mi. and I am getting ready to change trans fluid and filter. Just about everybody suggest adding an additive with some type of seal conditioner. (even the local dealer) They say you can expect smoother shifting and longer transmission life. Mine does seem to shift a little harder than it use to. Does anybody have any experiences good or bad with them. And what is a good brand if I decide to use one? Thaks

larryr

Reply to
larryr

I've used them in Automatics with that kind of mileage many times and have never had a problem. Sometimes they don't seem to make any difference and sometimes they seem to help. They basically just soften and swell the rubber seals a little bit which makes the seals seal better. If a seal is already cracked it's probably not going to help but if it's just hardened and worn it very possibly might. And it might prevent uncracked seals from cracking as soon. I don't recall what brand I used, I just look for one from a company with a recognizable brand name like STP, or Wynns, etc.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I agree that there is some merit to this but Dextron fluid has improved a lot too. Genrally I tend to advise against additives in a healthy tranny.

Reply to
snoman

1989 S10 ( snow plow Truck ) 225,000 miles 100,00o miles as a Plow Truck ( No oil Coolers Either )

Same Automatic Tranny in it that was in it when I bought the truck NEW , Same FACTORY Fluid ( NEVER CHANGED)

No ADDITIVES were EVER ADDED !!

Reply to
no one

There might be a bit of a difference in how much the ATF breaks down in a part of the country where you plow snow compared to where it gets

115 degrees and you are hauling a ski boat at 70 mph up the mountains to a lake.
Reply to
Ashton Crusher